Forum home Fruit & veg

Beginner: help needed with tomato growing

Hi, I decided to try growing tomatoes from seed but a lot of online info is full of jargon and assumes knowledge I just don’t have! The photos show 2 trays of seedlings. Do they look ‘leggy’ to you? And am I right that they need more leaves before moving to bigger or individual pots? Thank you. 

• LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,064
    Can I jump onto this thread to ask whether one of those plastic "greenhouses" are good enough to start tomato seeds in our will it be too cold at night?
    I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 
  • EB123EB123 Posts: 23
    Thank you pansyface, very helpful. To the left of the picture, about 1m away are big sliding patio doors to the back garden, so they are in a spot that gets a lot of light and direct sunlight during the day. They are on the end of an island in the kitchen. The only windowsill in direct sunlight is a bedroom one, above the kitchen.
  • they definitely need a stronger light source.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    The good thing about tomatoes is - when you do move them on @EB123 is the planting more deeply as @pansyface describes. She has given you excellent guidance to follow  :)
    Don't worry too much about the siting of them just now - just turn them regularly as they'll tend to lean to that light. If you can move them nearer your doors [ maybe on a small table or similar?] that will help but avoid those potential draughts next to the glass as she has said, and if you use blinds or curtains on them, don't trap the plants in between either, as the air is colder for them there.  The same goes for windowsills  :)

@Latimer - no, they aren't any use. They provide no protection from cold - just from rain/snow. If you were sowing in another month, it would be fine, or putting decent sized plants out in it in a few weeks time, but it would be too cold just now in most places to use them for sowing or small plants, especially as they can heat up furiously in average temps, and then plummet at night. That's the biggest problem with them in general.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • tui34tui34 Posts: 3,438
    Hello EB123!  

May I just add to the already excellent advice?  When transplanting the seedlings to individual pots, use a pointy knife to wiggle them out of the compost (don't pull them out) and handle them by the leaf avoiding too much contact with the root system.

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    Good shout @tui. I often use the little plastic label if I need to separate seedlings in trays, but because I sow my toms in small pots, I can tip them out and just tease them apart.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,064
    Thanks @Fairygirl I suspected as much but thought it best to clarify!
    I’ve no idea what I’m doing.