Forum home Fruit & veg

Courgette seedling (keeling more like)

(Sorry for the wonky pic, I haven’t worked out how to rotate yet)

help! I have a courgette seedling keeling over. (Yes I know it’s a bit early but my toddler found the seeds and couldn’t be stopped.) Should I add a bit of compost and bury the stem or does it need more drastic action (repotting and/or support)?

thanks for any advice. 

• pansyface said:
    Have you got any kebab sticks?  

If so, push one in and very carefully tie a bit of soft wool to it. Then wind the wool round the stem of the courgette to pull it upright and tie it off.

Remember to remove the stick and the wool when you pot it on otherwise it will be strangled.
    Brilliant, thank you – I’m not sure I do but will find something/order a takeaway tonight. 
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,426
    A chopstick will also make a good little stake.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • JennyJ said:
    A chopstick will also make a good little stake.
    Excellent – sorted with a chopstick and looking much happier. Thank you both!
  • you need stronger light source
  • you need stronger light source
    Oh really? They’re in a conservatory but it’s north facing. I could move them to a south facing windowsill but I worry it gets too hot on a warm day. It has been miserable and raining for the last 3 days, sun has finally come out so that should help. 
  • Courgette love heat. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Are you aiming to train them up a trellis,  I’ve always just left them to trail along the ground,  they need about 3’ space for each plant.  I suppose if you can grow them upwards it would save space. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn said:
    Are you aiming to train them up a trellis,  I’ve always just left them to trail along the ground,  they need about 3’ space for each plant.  I suppose if you can grow them upwards it would save space. 
    The seed packet says these ones like growing in pots so I was going to just do that and stick a cane in there for them to grow up. Open to doing it differently though, it’s only my second year growing courgettes (or anything) so I’m still very much a newbie!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,867
    Which variety are they?  Some sprawl or trail (or clamber with encouragement) whereas some, especially the types most suited for growing in pots, are ‘bush type’ and just produce all their fruits from near the centre of the plant. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Which variety are they?  Some sprawl or trail (or clamber with encouragement) whereas some, especially the types most suited for growing in pots, are ‘bush type’ and just produce all their fruits from near the centre of the plant. 
    They’re Astia, French compact bush.