Forum home Garden design

Ideas for new border

I have a 3mx1m border which gets sun in the morning, but is shaded by trees and fence later in the afternoon. There are a couple of odd bulbs but is basically a blank slate. What can you suggest I plant here? I like whites, blue and purple flowers. It's a clay soil but has been improved with organic matter. Any ideas greatly appreciated! 

• Alfie_Alfie_ Posts: 447
    Hi,

How many hours of sunlight do they get? When do you want the most interest? All in the summer? A mixture, so some evergreens? Low, medium or high maintenance? 

If it were me I would start with some climbers. There are lots of great climbers that cope with partial shade. I really like Clematis Nelly Moser in particular. A meter isn't too wide so maybe some medium shrubs at the back and then some low lying perrenials at the front. 

If it were me I would go for a summer border. So I would train some climbers that fit your colour preferences. There are loads of varities of clematis, honeysuckle, jasmine etc for partial shade. I would then go for medium shrubs. My favourite plants are roses so I would pick ones that do well in partial shade. Then something geraniums at the front that match your colour preferences or some lavender as you like pruple. You could then dot some alliums around the back as some varities still do well in part shade. You say you like purple so dotting so verbena at the back as well will add some height at the back. 

If you wanted some part to have interest all year round you could consider some small evergreen shrubs. There are some nice purple Hebe varities. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,800
    Brunnera Jack Frost, Aquilegias, Foxgloves, Hostas, Hydrangeas, Campanulas, Tiarella, Hemerocallis, Fuchsias, Lamprocapnos (Dicentra) should all be OK in those conditions.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Alfie_ said:
    Hi,

How many hours of sunlight do they get? When do you want the most interest? All in the summer? A mixture, so some evergreens? Low, medium or high maintenance? 

If it were me I would start with some climbers. There are lots of great climbers that cope with partial shade. I really like Clematis Nelly Moser in particular. A meter isn't too wide so maybe some medium shrubs at the back and then some low lying perrenials at the front. 

If it were me I would go for a summer border. So I would train some climbers that fit your colour preferences. There are loads of varities of clematis, honeysuckle, jasmine etc for partial shade. I would then go for medium shrubs. My favourite plants are roses so I would pick ones that do well in partial shade. Then something geraniums at the front that match your colour preferences or some lavender as you like pruple. You could then dot some alliums around the back as some varities still do well in part shade. You say you like purple so dotting so verbena at the back as well will add some height at the back. 

If you wanted some part to have interest all year round you could consider some small evergreen shrubs. There are some nice purple Hebe varities. 
    Thank you, yes a summer border is what I'm after. I like clematis and roses and all your other suggestions! I don't mind a bit of maintenance. I'd love a Jasmin but have been reluctant to get one as not sure how I'd protect it in the winter. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! :) 
  • Brunnera Jack Frost, Aquilegias, Foxgloves, Hostas, Hydrangeas, Campanulas, Tiarella, Hemerocallis, Fuchsias, Lamprocapnos (Dicentra) should all be OK in those conditions.
    Thank you, I've got some hostas under the trees and I've got some foxgloves in the other border so I can move some of those. I like campanula and aquilegia too, great ideas! Thank you :)