Forum home The potting shed

Do I need lights?

I have just planted some petunia seeds and I am reading that you need fluorescent lights to help them along, is this the case or can I put them at the window behind a double glazed unit once they have germinated?
"Life is what happens to you, whilst you're busy gardening!"

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415
    petunias were invented before florescent lights. as much light as you can give them, daylight

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • B_leafB_leaf Posts: 42
    Yeah, you kinda have a point there 🤣🤣
    Thanks.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,782
    Do you not have them on a windowsill just now @B_leaf?
    That would be the ideal site,  and you'd just keep an eye on them after they get pricked out and potted on, turning them regularly as they grow, until it's suitable for them to be hardened off and outdoors.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • B_leafB_leaf Posts: 42
    Actually I do have them on the window sill just now and think I'll just keep them there and see what comes up!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,782
    The problem with sowing early is often lack of light, and that can be a bigger problem than not enough heat. It's a while before petunias would be ok for going outside, so that's always the thing to remember - having somewhere for them while they get bigger, and therefore take up more room, until you get to that point.   :)  
    We have more daylight hours up here through summer, but we have fewer of them through winter, so there's little point in sowing before around mid March, depending on the plant.
    Getting plants outside also depends on your location. Our season is shorter,  as we also can't get plants outside so early. Easier in the south, so judge it by the general climate in your area   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,685
    I don't know about petunias specifically, but I had a lot of success using artificial lights to supplement light from a window when raising Dianthus and Verbascum seedlings a couple of years ago. They were less leggy than seedlings I've raised with window light alone and I got away with sowing them much earlier. They were quite big plants when it came time to harden them off for planting out.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,685
    You have to consider though, with the cost of the lighting unit and electricity, maybe you may as well just buy the plants from the GC and also save yourself the bother! It depends what you are growing.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".