Forum home Fruit & veg

Blackberry

Hi we've planted a blackberry in a tin tub (to stop it invading garden) - filled with topsoil and compost.  I did put some pebbles / gravel at the bottom but the tub does not have holes in.  Should I drill a few in the bottom holes in the bottom?

It has been raining so the top soil and compost were a bit sodden, should I add some grit to it to help with drainage?  Ive never done this before, so would I use perlite, horticultural grit or vermiculite?

Thanks!

• Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,578
    Yes you need some holes in the bottom, do that asap or the roots will rot. I would use about an 8 or 10mm drill, and drill one every couple of inches. Drainage should be fine then.
  • Dig2006Dig2006 Posts: 65
    ok will do ty. hopefully the blackberry wont invade the garden. And if I wanted to loosen the soil, are the products all similar do you know?
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,578
    I never use any soil products, sorry I can't help with that bit, I'm all 'tough love' and simplistic. 😄
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,313
    I have a blackberry (Waldo) growing over a fence.
    The top growth is vigorous, but each year it only sends out 5-6 new canes and has not strayed from where I planted it.
    I've found it to be very well behaved - it doesn't send up new shoots all over the place like raspberries.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    You need to take it out and get plenty of holes in the bottom. It won't survive otherwise.
    Then refill with whatever you want - a soil based medium if it's staying in the pot, and replant. You won't need anything else in there once you have proper drainage. Brambles aren't too fussy. You'll only need to give it a top up each year or so with a bit of extra soil or compost. Perhaps a slow release food depending on the variety etc.
    Make sure the container is off the ground a bit too, if it's on a hard surface. It might be worth doing it anyway, regardless of where it's sited,  so that you can see any roots which might come through and into the ground below. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...