Forum home Tools and techniques


i would like to attach a water butt to the side of my shed so that i can have a water irrigation system for my high raised beds does anyone think this is possible


  • nick615nick615 Posts: 1,481
    As long as your shed, and any other nearby structures, has a guttering system to channel rainwater into the butt, it would be possible.  However, much will depend on how much 'supervision' you'll be able to devote to it?  Await further expert advice.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    Are you wanting some sort of automatic system to run off the water butt and pump the water uphill to the raised beds? That’s a bit more complicated …

    Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    If you can set the water butt off the ground so the tap is around a foot higher than the raised beds, it is possible to set up a drip hose or leaky pipe system on a timer to irrigate raised beds without a pump. I have done that before in an allotment. I connected an ordinary hose to the tap then with a connector attached that to the drip hose laid out in the beds. 

    If that’s not practical to have the butt that high, you will need a pump.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
Sign In or Register to comment.