Forum home Garden design

Thoughts on a uPVC Greenhouse

Hi gardeners. I am a novice gardener and this is my first post so please bear with me.  

I have moved house and now have space for a greenhouse. It can only go in one location - south facing next to a farmers field so quite exposed (the north side of the greenhouse will be a wooden summer house). I am not sure what type of greenhouse to get.

My husband isn't overly keen on the aluminium greenhouses.  I think partly due to memories of his Nan's rickety old greenhouse.  I'm not bothered what we have as I'm just so excited to be getting a greenhouse!  We have looked at wooden greenhouses but we are concerned about the maintenance that may come with a wooden greenhouse and although they are beautiful, I am conscious you won't actually see the greenhouse from the house.

We did not have space for a greenhouse at our last house but we had a small conservatory, which is where I used to start my seeds off and I grew tomatoes. It got us thinking about a uPVC greenhouse (like I said, please bear with me!) We like the idea of the minimal maintenance and thought double glazing would help keep it warmer in winter and cooler in summer.  However it soon became apparent when starting our research that this isn't really a 'thing'.

So....are we completely crackers for even contemplating this and have we missed an obvious flaw?  Or, despite being unconventional, could it actually work? 

I'd appreciate people's opinions on this 😊

• ShepsSheps Posts: 2,221
    Hi @SunFlowerslife I don't have any experience of uPVC greenhouses so can't really help on that front.

When you say exposed, what sort of weather conditions are you speaking of?

If it's strong winds, then I would go for an aluminium greenhouse, mine has been trouble free for the 6 years I have had it.

Hopefully another member will offer some advice on the uPVC variety.

Good luck whichever way you go.
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,679
    It’s not cheap (translation, it’s expensive) but I love our Cultivar greenhouse - aluminium and wood but a million miles from Nan’s.
    Rutland, England
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,790
    You could look at the aluminium ones that are painted green. I don't know what your budget is. I'd get the best and biggest that you can afford, it will give you many hours of pleasure.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thank you for the posts. It gets very windy across the field as it's very open, which whips up through the garden.

I've seen the cultivar mentioned before so I will certainly give those a look. Do you have to treat the wood in the same way you treat a greenhouse built solely of wood?  If so how often is it recommended you do that? 

Space is limited in the area we have so maximum we could fit is 6'x8'. As far as budget goes, we're prepared to spend that bit more to get something that will last.

Thanks again for the input
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 2,221
    Agree with @Busy-Lizzie if your budget allows then the painted aluminium ones are a great investment.

• Thanks for the picture Shep's. That has to be the cleanest, tidiest greenhouse I've ever seen 😍
  • EmptyheadtimeEmptyheadtime Posts: 362
    edited March 2023
    No idea about uPVC greenhouses. I did a quick google and found some. They look substantial and pricey. I like the look of wooden ones but put of by the maintenance. Might be worth looking at Rhino, they seem to be built to stand up to the elements, 4mm toughened glass instead of 3mm, extra bracing etc, which is all heavier so less likely to be blown away. Key to whatever you go for will be how you secure it to the ground if the site is exposed.
  • Thanks Emptyheadtime. I've seen Rhino mentioned a lot so will look into that 
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 790
    I bought an Eden greenhouse back in 1997 it’s 6 sided as I wanted something attractive as it’s in full view from our lounge. It is wooden, red cedar, it really has no maintenance at all. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend a wooden greenhouse. It is approaching a needing to be replaced situation as the land has subsided over the years and the greenhouse has a slight lean to one side.

• Thank you Bilje. How often would you say you treat the wood?