Forum home Fruit & veg

No tomatoes this year!

Last summer was our second year of growing vegetables.  We planted tomatoes and cucumbers in our greenhouse.  Cucumbers were great, tomatoes just about OK.  This year we fancy omitting the tomatoes and wondered which vegetables would be best to grow in the greenhouse and which to avoid.  We fancy French Beans as one, but we are open to suggestions. 

At about 750 feet on the western edge of The Pennines.  Clay soil.  

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,006
    Do you like chillies?  They'd appreciate the shelter of a greenhouse but green beans will be fine oustide as long as you can provide shelter from strong winds.

I grew basil in our polytunnel last year and had a bumper crop - lots of pesto made - so I'll be doing that again along with just one cucumber plant.   Grew two last year and had far too many.  Good pickled tho.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    Peppers do well for me as well as chillies, tomatoes with basil and 1 cucumber.
    I grow Corno di toro rosso in 10L or 15L pots. They get to about 4ft and are quite prolific with good flavour.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,648
    We grow tomatoes, chillies, peppers in our polytunnel. Also pak choi, kohlrabi, carrots, radishes, cucamelons. And then we have our strawberries. Many will think why are we growing some of these in a polytunnel and not outdoors......tried many for many years outdoors and had no return. In the polytunnel we have a harvest every year.
  • McRazzMcRazz Posts: 415

Last summer was our second year of growing vegetables.  We planted tomatoes and cucumbers in our greenhouse.  Cucumbers were great, tomatoes just about OK.  This year we fancy omitting the tomatoes and wondered which vegetables would be best to grow in the greenhouse and which to avoid.  We fancy French Beans as one, but we are open to suggestions. 

Sounds like your greenhouse is on the humid side, which isn't a bad thing but it favours the Cucs. I can't help with Veg recommendations but the micro-climate will have a lot to do with it.

A respected horticulturalist once told me that its very difficult to grow both Toms and Cucs in the same glasshouse because of their differing humidity requirements. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,836
    That’s also what I’ve been told @McRazz. 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• McRazzMcRazz Posts: 415
    edited March 2023
    That’s also what I’ve been told @McRazz. 😊 
    ah, that's good to know, my veg knowledge is fairly limited but I was glad for that piece of advice following a cucumber meltdown last year  (Toms were great though!) :D
  • A respected horticulturalist once told me that its very difficult to grow both Toms and Cucs in the same glasshouse because of their differing humidity requirements.

Very interesting and explains a lot.

After reading the posts i think that we shall grow peppers.

Regarding the number of cucumber plants we had three!  Good job we like eating them!

We also sent any surplus cumcumbers across the road to our neighbour who grows veg.  and sends us any of their surplus produce.  Just by chance we never seem to grow the same things so it works well.

At about 750 feet on the western edge of The Pennines.  Clay soil.  
  • @Pete.8 that looks like a show garden! Amazing pics. Love the bull horn peppers. I've grown them successfully outside but I can only ever manage about 4 good peppers per plant because as soon as the big ones start to really swell all the flowers they produce start to drop and any tiny fruits drop too.  Below are some of mine from a couple septembers ago. Basil was great idea too. Homemade pesto is amazing.  After I dug up my first earlies last year I plugged in a bout 4  basil plants into the grow bag. did great.
    Happy Gardening
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    They look great @alexryzawlskiqBU-X4OF especially as you've grown them outside.
    I picked the last of mine around mid-October last year. A greenhouse is a big help.
    The taste is way better than any I've ever bought.

Each summer I look forward to making Piedmontese roast peppers with late season home grown toms and basil 

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.