Forum home The potting shed

Unbelievable!

Here in Devon we look to our towns and cities even if we, personally, live in some of the loveliest rural areas.
Plymouth - bombed during the last war - had a dedicated centre of now mature trees by way of a memorial, which last night were (apart from the last remaining few saved by a late injunction secured by protestors) felled.
Under cover of darkness, with heavy machinery, manpower and police presence (all of which must have involved a lot of forward planning) and without proper local notification, the trees were cut down to pave the way (pun intended) for "regeneration" of the city centre.
Utter vandalism, redolent of the same unwarranted tree felling that took place in Sheffield.
Local elections loom.  I would be surprised if any of those who participated in this wanton destruction were to be re-elected.
I had to vent my anger - even though I don't live in Plymouth itself.  But enough is enough - these little dictators need to be held to account and banned from any future office imo.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,570
    Utter vandals.  Consult the electorate and then ignore them.  Another lot that need voting out.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I was seething as well Primrose,  how many times has Plymouth been built and knocked down,  this may be the 4 time since the bombing.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• clematisdorsetclematisdorset Posts: 1,183
    Things like this make we weep and despair  :'(:'(:'(
    Where the Wild Things Are
     ...that is where I would prefer to be...
    COASTAL SOUTHERN ENGLAND...silty-sandy-loam ravaged by wind
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 936
    The impact on wildlife would be colossal. Pity no one could find evidence of bat habitation. As most will know that if they wanted to do alterations to a house that had bats in the eves, they would have to jump through hoops to rehouse them (and quite rightly) but it's strange how councils can wreck havoc on wildlife when money changes hands!  :(
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.
    We couldn’t have our loft lagged because of bats,  had to wait for them to vacate.

• Just as well that sort of policy doesn't extend to mice. A couple of days after we moved to this house, my wife woke me to say she could hear something in the bedroom, and she thought it might be a mouse. 

"You'll never see one", I replied.

I turned the light on, and a mouse ran across the headboard. I've never seen my wife move so fast!!

She spent the rest of the night on the sofa.

It took us months to eradicate them, and we seemed to kill loads. I even caught two by hand.  But we've had no repeat.
    We’ve never seen mice up there but keep poisons there in various places just in the case.
    Lots of bats though and the mess is awful,   Everything has to be covered in thick cardboard sheets,  they pee on everything and it stinks,  dropping are like dust.

• thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,245
    edited March 2023
    In norwich we had a city street redeveloped. It is only a couple of hundred yards long and didn't have many trees but it was ripped out and at the staggering, considering it looks far worse and cheaper now, 6 million, we haven't got a green shopping oasis they promised.
    We get trees planted so they go on the figures but then they aren't looked after and anything that would flower or benefit wildlife, is hacked back so that it can't. It's funny because in the local council news letter they are constantly telling us how much they are doing and why we should let our lawns grow. It doesn't stop them waiting until things are just about to flower before they cut them down or constantly spraying the life out of them.
  • didywdidyw Posts: 3,524
    I agree on that development in Norwich @thevictorian.  They could have done so much but whoever they chose to do the design is so in love with Corton steel that they used it to excess and in completely the wrong way.  I haven't met anyone who likes what they have done.  I absolutely avoid that area of the city (much preferring the Lanes) but sadly it's where the bus stop is, if I go into the city by bus.
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    They're currently talking about this on R2.
    You'd get it on catch up if you miss it.

I'm rarely surprised by anything that councils do. I doubt that very many of those who make decisions give a flying toss about the feelings of the folk who pay their wages.
    Maybe I'm just cynical....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...