Forum home Fruit & veg

Outdoor cucumber seed suggestion

I'm struggling finding outdoor cucumber seeds that are mildew disease (and any other type of disease) resistant. 

Last year I tried Marketeer which turned out to be a disaster, almost overnight it was decimated with mildew.

Wondering if anyone can suggest a variety I can grow from seed? Thank you mucho...
Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,680
    I've been growing a ridge ( outdoor ) cuke "Bedfordshire Prize" on and off for the last 20 odd years.
    As far as I can see, they are not listed as mildew resistant but last summer was the first time I can remember them suffering from it.  The only difference, for me at least, was the harvest was not as good as in previous years but the fruits themselves were fine.
    Grown in Devon, Somerset and Cornwall if that helps :)
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 936
    Thanks for your reply @philippasmith2. If 'Bedfordshire Prize' is true to it's name, then it was created not too far from me in the West Fens. I'll give it a try if there's no other suggestion. All the leaves were affected on my plants and the only thing I could do was to destroy them, I was also fearful of the mildew spreading. 

My courgettes were also affected last summer @Jenny_Aster but it was rather weird weather so maybe this season may prove better ( tho I'm not holding my breath ).
    Hope you get other suggestions and Good Luck :)
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,675
    I have grown Passandra all female cucumber and very prolific. Your growing conditions will be different to mine down here but they maybe ok.
  • try diva 
  • tui34tui34 Posts: 3,436
    If you can get "Marketmore" in the UK, they are a good variety.

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,733
    I have grown market more many times   widely available. 
    AB Still learning

• Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 936
    Thank you for all your replies. The blurb does say that Marketmore is resistant to most diseases, so I've just ordered a packet of 80 for £2.25 inc postage, which can't be bad  :)

Let's hope we're not going to have another weird growing season - though I think that's maybe asking a bit too much.

• purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,256
    Sorry to be a bit late to answer,  but if you find Marketmore as bitter as I did you could try Beth Alpha a mini cucumber, easily available seed from most GC . I have grown it inside and out, it doesn't get too tall to manage, lots of cues, and hasn't had any diseases. Hope everything goes OK for you this season @Jenny_Aster
    I also grew Beth Alpha for the first time last year.  The ones outside didn't do as well as the ones in the GH but they did still produce fruit.
    I think some posters ( myself included ) were looking at the cukes known for outside growing rather than trying various ones.
    It's really going to depend on the weather how well they will do - like anything else unfortunately  :(  Always worth a go tho.