Forum home Fruit & veg

Watering tomato seedlings

Hi all,
I sowed my tomato seeds at the weekend, in little seed trays on a heated windowsill propagator (Super 7). Once they begin to come up I’ll take them off the heat and leave them on the windowsill, with some grow lights to help prevent them getting too leggy.

My issue is that I’ll be going away for a weeks holiday in about 2 weeks time. I expect the seedlings will be up by then but won’t be ready to prick out into their individual pots yet. So they’ll have a week in the little trays with no watering. I’m really hoping they won’t suffer as a result. I’ll give them a good drink before I leave of course, without drowning them, but is there anything else I should do? I thought about maybe putting the little plastic lids back on to reduce evaporation? I’d be grateful for any thoughts or advice.

• BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,698
    Do you have a Nextdoor or community Facebook group? You could ask there, or simply among your friends, neighbours, colleagues and acquaintances, if any one could give refuge to your seedlings while you’re away. It is the simplest of tasks for anyone with a modicum of gardening experience.
    Rutland, England
  • SueG1SueG1 Posts: 41
    Assuming you can't get anyone to water them while your away what I'd do, if the seedlings are already through is take them off the heat, just put a couple of drip trays underneath them and put 1/4" of water in them so that the seedlings can suck it up. If they get a good watering before you go they're unlikely to die off over the week or so that you're away that you're away. And yes, the lids would help too. Good luck!
  • Kitty52Kitty52 Posts: 184
    I too am going away and have  read about using capillary matting.  You put empty seed trays upside down in a deep tray with water.  Put capillary matting over the upside down trays with the sides of the matting in the water then put your plants on top of the matting.  Apparently the capillary matting soaks up the water and keeps the base of your plants moist!! Not done it before but going to give it a try.  Hope this makes sense......