Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frogs.

My garden pond is normally teaming with frogs and frogspawn, but nothing at all so far this year. I’m in East Yorkshire. I don’t think the weather has been better/worse than anywhere else and nothing has changed in the garden that I’m aware of (other than I haven’t done any gardening so far!). Is anyone else noticing this? 

• For the last 2 years I have not noticed any frog spawn in my pond, I used to be serenaded at dusk and dawn by dozens of frogs singing, with resultant large clumps of spawn,  but I still had loads of taddies so I am not worrying any more. This year my fish have surfaced already, a month earlier than usual so I am assuming all is well in the pond, I also have newts but rarely see them.
    I am now on spawn watch, followed by taddie watch later on. There is always a friendly race on here to see who has the first spawn in their pond.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,304
    Like I’ve already said on another thread I have huge frogs but no spawn yet . Maybe they’re  not sure what to do with the warm then cold weather . It’s blowing a hoolie out there today so March winds are here but till the freezing snowy weather clears off ,I don’t think we’ll see any spawn ,in my pond anyhow .
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,697
    Some posters are reporting  spawn but others are still waiting.
    Have a word with your local Wildlife Trust to see what is happening in your area. :)
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Mine spawned on the 31st January they hatched out a while ago,  we cover the pond when we know it’s going to freeze but so far so good. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,667
    We picked up frogs on a trail camera in the orchard last year but no spawn in any of our water areas and we have never had any. Would really love to but we do have newts.
    If you have newts that could be why no spawn .The newts eat it . Maybe the frogs have got clever and know this so they put the spawn well away .
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,697
    As mentioned on another thread, if your pond is large enough and well planted, Newts can and do co exist with frogs and toads.  Yes, the newts will eat the spawn but it isn't a case of Either/Or.
    If we aren't careful, Newts will be getting as bad a name as some other  predatory species.
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,261
    Our frogs only spawned in the last couple of days here in norwich. We had no signs last week but now the ponds half full of spawn.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
     Newts don’t stop the frogs spawning,  when the fancy takes them they’ll spawn anywhere, even in my daughters outside loo.   She had to get it out and put it in kids sand tray.
    I have numerous newts in the pond,  a lot of tadpoles will get eaten but some will survive to full frogs. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I consider myself well and truly told off about newts ,but I was only offering a suggestion ,I meant no harm