Forum home The potting shed

NARCISSUS 23

GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,638
edited March 2023 in The potting shed
 The early forms such as Tete a Tete are doing well in my garden . Do you have favourites or recommendations that you would like to share? I appreciate that depending on where you are some are still in bud but it would be good to know of any that do well with you. Maybe there others that flower year one and promptly disappear!
@pitter-patter I have just been looking at your photo on The Gallery 23 thread N cordubensis is new to me so I thought there may be other beauties out there.
 Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,463
    I planted some Ice Follies not long after we moved here, so probably autumn 1989, and they're still flowering reliably every year.  I added some more in autumn 2020, 'cos I knew nowt in 1989 and dotted them around too far apart for much impact.
    I like the delicate white ones like Thalia, but that's a late one, not even showing buds yet.

Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,882
    Too early for all of mine, but one of my favourites, that I first put in a few years ago, is Lieke. There's also a double one I did at the same time, with a long name that I can never remember, so I'd have to look it up. 
    Thalia and Silver Chimes are two of my favourites - both a bit later too.
    Cheerfulness  is also nice. 

I can't do any photos just now as I haven't got them transferred onto this new laptop yet.  Might be able to get them off the old one later   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,696
    I've long since forgotten what some of mine are called but my Tete a Tete are reliable and giving a good display now.  I also used to grow Paper White for their scent.  Some of the others are either flowering now or in bud.
    As mentioned, Tulips not always quite so easy.  I used to grow Kaufmanni (sp ? ) but too far back and too many gardens later to really remember whether they were shortlived or not.  I've inherited some with this garden - Red, Yellow, White and Pink and this will be their 5th year stuck under trees, shrubs and facing in every direction other than North but still giving welcome patches of colour.  Some already showing buds so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this last winter's weather hasn't put them off.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,638
    edited March 2023
    @JennyJ Ice Follies is one I have never grown but as you have mentioned really worth while.
    Bulbs are expensive to buy so it is well worth knowing that they return year on year.
    I will be buying some in September as I know they are in most of the GC's, reliable,early and a pale colour perfect.
    @philippasmith2 I do grow a few tulips every year but really my soil is too wet in the winter. They are looking good at present, T Ballerina.

@Fairygirl I will have a go at some photos too. I wondered if I should have posted this under plants. My computer skills don't seem to improve.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,416
    One of my earliest miniature daffodils is Snow Baby. Starts flowering in the second part of February. Beautiful lemony yellow corona fading to creamy white.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,339
    edited March 2023
    Thalia is my favourite. I tried to get more in 21 but they were mislabelled. Didn't see any for sale at all in 22. Somebody posted a picture of a similar one by the looks of it. I'll have to try and find the thread and make a note.
    Edit. 
    Found it on gallery thread. Snow baby. Very pretty but not white enough.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,339
    I should have waited for you to post it @pitter-patter
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Won't matter what category it's in @GardenerSuze - title's fairly self explanatory  ;)
    That's a pretty one @pitter-patter. I only really grow the creamier, whiter ones. It's not that I don't like yellow, it's just that I prefer cream and white  :)
    I keep meaning to get some early ones. Maybe this year....

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,463
    I've put in more Thalia for this year (I hope! They were from the supplier I used previously with only a couple of wrong uns out of a hundred). And some Petrel which is new to me.
    Whites and pale yellows are my favourite narcissi, but I like all of them except the double ones which aren't to my taste - they remind me of scrumpled up used tissues.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
    Thanks @JennyJ - I've added a pic of my scrumpled hanky below !  :D
    I'm working between two laptops now until I can get the new doofer for the photos.

These are Lieke - nice multi headed daff.

This is the one with the long name - Narcissus  Albus Plenus Odoratus