Forum home Fruit & veg

Best (easy) tomatoes for sauce

Can anyone recommend an easy to grow tomato variety that makes great sauce. a couple of years ago I grew some San Marzanos, and although I got a good crop I lost all of them to blossom end rot and I understand that most Italian plum varieties are prone to this. I only have a very small greenhouse (6' x 4') and have been successfully growing Rosellas for a few years now, but for some unaccountable reason my wife doesn't like raw tomatoes (weird!), but likes a good pasta sauce. I feel it's time to be less selfish!

• Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 936
    edited March 2023
    zakthecat said:
    .....for some unaccountable reason my wife doesn't like raw tomatoes (weird!), but likes a good pasta sauce. 
    I'm the same, love cooked tomatoes especially fried, you're wife's not alone in being a tad 'weird'  ;) Just like to add that I do eat raw sweet cherry types in a salad, maybe your wife is the same?
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,302
    Moneymaker is a good all rounder . You could try that one .
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    I grow lots of varieties, including San Marzano, and don't have problems with blossom end rot now that I use a seep hose for watering them.  We eat some fresh - cherry types and beefeater types plus some in the middle - but by the end of summer they all end up in the preserving pot being cooked down to concentrate the juices and make sauces and soups over winter.  
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,828
    I've grown Roma for sauces, which is an Italian plum. Blossom end rot is prevented by regular watering.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,107
    I grew Roma this year, and it was high yield and I didn’t get blossom end rot. Definitely a cooking tomato though, I didn’t like it raw.
  • I grew Big Mama last year as a cooking tomato and was very pleased with it. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,688
    Some of the beefsteak varieties - Black Krim for eg - also make a tasty sauce. I've grown Roma ( outside against a S facing wall ) and didn't experience blossom end rot. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Any that are almost seedless, Roma San Marzano, Jersey Devils. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

•  San Marzano is what grow.
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    I vote for a determinate beefsteak, they don't have the blossom end rot issue and they are also really low maintenance with a very good seed to flesh ratio