Forum home Tools and techniques

deep hedging idea

2»

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,300
    Ok, I wouldn't plant anything which is definitely poisonous (eg yew), but the berries of many native shrubs and trees - including rowan - are described by the RHS as potentially causing "mild stomach upset" if consumed.  

I'd recommend a native hedge, including guelder rose, hawthorn, blackthorn, wild rose etc.  And warn your neighbour what you're planning.  Even very young children can - and should - be taught never to eat anything they find without asking an adult if it's ok.
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    No offence to you but, many very common plants are harmful if eaten in quantity, but it's down to the neighbours to appropriately monitor the children/grandchildren  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,251
    I just add two things,

1, if the hedge is really wide then you may still be able to cut it but it's will be very hard to remove the cut material.

2, a wide hedge doesn't have to start wide. You can plant a normal hedge or double layer wildlife hedge and then simply let it grow out to a comfortable width. 
  • Thanks for the suggestions,I've now got a lot to think about! :)

• I planted a pyracantha hedge in the front garden, but on the western side, I planted a double layer. Thankfully I can trim it from both sides. In 18 months it has thickened up nicely.

The birds have been attracted to the orange and red berries. The bees loved the blossom.

I read that you can use the berries to make jam, but I'd rather watch the birds have their fill.
  • I've got a couple of pyracanthas in our front garden.One day,while I was waiting for a taxi,a male blackbird flew straight for the pyracantha,so close to my ear that I could feel the wind from his wing!  :hushed:
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,471
    I hope your Pyracantha is the thornless variety @bluehamster1968!
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• M33R4M33R4 Posts: 291
    edited March 2023
    ...I want to grow a really deep hedge which would be for wildlife.
    Where I want to plant it is only accessible from one side.
    I want to keep the top trimmed flat.
    The question is how deep can I make it-am I limited to the length of a hedge clipper,or is there a technique you can use with a hedge trimmer which would allow me to clip the top of a hedge which is deeper than the length of the trimmer blade?

As been said, think of how you will trim the top. As long as your trimmer can reach go for it.

• Personally if I wanted a thick hedge, I would plant 2 rows: row 1 will have something that grows tall and quick like privet (cheap too) or hawthorn.
    • I would leave a 2 foot walkway (to help me trim/maintain row 1) and plant row 2 - perhaps laurel for beauty and autumn colour, and I would cut that lower than row 1.
    • This will give you a thick multi-level hedge, that has variety as you will be planting 2 different species, and you will have no issues maintaining both hedges.

I wish I could garden all year round!
  • McRazzMcRazz Posts: 416
    edited March 2023
    Google 'Successional habitat'. It sounds like you could start off with something wild and herbaceous and simply let it do its thing in becoming a shrubby layer that you can keep trimmed with a bit of holistic maintenance. Excellent for wildlife.

Its this highly productive scrubby stuff that farmers are now removing to plant trees because of the perverse way our subsidy system now functions (function used in the perjorative).