Forum home The potting shed

What Are BBC Radio 2 Doing?

Don't know whether you're as frustrated as me with recent changes but Gareth Roberts has summed up my feelings perfectly in this amusing article.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/does-radio-2-hate-its-own-listeners/
Clay soil - Cheshire/Derbyshire border

I play with plants and soil and sometimes it's successful

• Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,576
    edited March 2023
    I haven't listened to it for years, except for some Saturday evenings, Lisa Tarbuck onwards.
    If I do have radio on it's Greatest Hits, so I'm glad Ken Bruce is moving there.
    I do miss Terry, I used to be in tears of laughter listening to him.
  • Songbird-2Songbird-2 Posts: 2,261
    I've listened to Radio 2 ( mainly in the mornings and mainly because of Ken Bruce) for decades. I must agree with the article, I think the BBC is shooting itself in the foot and not many young people I know even listen to radio anymore.It is the older generation who are more likely to turn a radio on. 
    I did listen in yesterday to see what the replacement show was like. They have introduced their own version of Popmaster, something called Top of the Ten. It is most strange and the scoring is even stranger. I don't know who the presenter was but he didn't have Ken's dulcet tones and I wasn't overstruck on the presentation. I may listen again today to see if things come clearer, but, I'm not holding my breath.
  • Good morning all, I had to join in with this thread as I’ve been a R2 listener for years, long before I became an ‘old fart’ and will miss Ken Bruce too. He had a good programme which made for enjoyable listening, pop master was the highlight of the morning time to put the kettle on and play along. I will give Vernon a chance before turning off, but it is a shame when they mess with a good formula. Hope they hang onto Michael Ball on a Sunday because that’s another favourite of mine. Deluge of rain again so not much chance of getting into the garden, I needed to vent 😖 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    There are some I love on R2, Sara Cox, Scott Mills, Rylan, some less so. 
    I'm SO pleased Steve Wright has gone from the afternoon.
    I never listen on a Sunday after Rev Kate and Jason, Can't stand any of them.
    Ken Bruce, chose to leave, he wasn't booted out. He made that very clear when he announced his departure.
    Devon.
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 5,124
    My absolute favourite is Liza Tarbuck but I don’t listen to her live I download her show whenever I am in the car on a long journey. Fiancé is a big radio 4 fan but I find most of their stuff too depressing. At work we have Virgin but most DJs are intensely irritating. Pity there are not any stations that only play music no talking. 
    I listen to Rylan, then start Liza, but I can't manage too much of her before turning off.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    Sadly great broadcasters cannot live for ever … they too grow older … Ken Bruce is two years older than I am and I’ve been retired for several years … his retirement was bound to happen at some stage … maybe WFH during the Covid lockdowns gave him a taste of a slightly different lifestyle?  Maybe he wanted to go out at the top of his game? Maybe he wanted the chance to try something different while he had the chance?
    Many of his listeners will follow him to GHR and R2 will face the challenge of engaging a slightly younger audience … the world of broadcasting is changing … I now listen to podcasts for a lot of the time rather than daylong live radio as I used to. 
    We have been used to R2/the Light Programme always being there and we think it’s always been the same because we’re the generation that grew up with it  … but really it only started in 1945 … a few years before I was born … things change … I was of the first generation that could tune in to popular music all day long … my step-grandchildren don’t listen to music radio … they stream or have Spotify Playlists or whatever. Many folk never watch what we regard as the normal tv channels nowadays … there are loads of other options. 

Things change … always have and always will … and one day we won’t be here … why should we expect R2 to remain the same … that says more about our lack of imagination than it says about the  BBC. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I remember visiting my Mother, years ago and my old radio was still tuned to Radio 1. 
    I asked if she'd like me to retune to something else. 
    " Like what?" 
    " Radio 2?" 
    " Radio 2 is for old people" 
    " Mum, you're 66" 
    She died at 72 and was still listening to Radio 1.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,463
    edited March 2023
    When Simon Mayo left l stopped listening in the late afternoon/early evening. Steve Wright drove me mad, and l can't stand Jeremy Vine.

I don't expect things to stay the same forever,  but l think the rot set in for me when the powers that be decided to shoehorn Jo Whiley into the Drivetime show to fit in with the theory that they needed more female presenters in the daytime. 
    It was a disaster from the start, Jo Whiley was clearly uncomfortable playing a different style of music and trying to get involved with a style of presenting that had been going for years and won various awards. 
    On the few occasions that Liza Tarbuck presented she fitted in well in my opinion, but l assume she didn't want to do it full time.
    The then controller of Radio 2 appeared on Radio 4 insisting that everything was going well and listeners were enjoying it in spite of clear signs to the contrary. 

When Simon Mayo switched to Greatest Hits Radio from Scala l tuned in (do people still "tune in" ?), and stuck with GHR throughout the day, apart from listening to Ken from around 10am until the end of Popmaster. Now he's left l've removed Radio 2 from my pre set stations. 

I think the thing that struck me most was the Controller's attitude. By all means move with the times, but at least treat the listeners and presenters who made you the successful station that you were with some respect.

l remember even up to comparatively recently they still had shows such as "The organist entertains" and one with Brass band music. 
    As @Dovefromabove says things change, but unlike previous generations who had "the wireless" and nothing else, today's younger generations have various streaming services to choose from. They don't need the BBC  anymore. 
    I've just turned radio 2 off. 
    Bleedin' Country music. Makes me heave
    Devon.