Forum home Fruit & veg

Raised bed timber

Is treated timber ok to use for raised beds provided you add a liner?
I am getting boggled with all the options. 
Many thanks. 

• depends on what wood it treated with. 
  • Is treated timber ok to use for raised beds provided you add a liner?
    I am getting boggled with all the options. 
    Many thanks. 

Yes it's fine, and a good idea to line it. If the bed is very high you may also want to insulate the sides.
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 1,481
    alfharris8  If you're intent on RBs, by far the best option, though more expensive to start with, will be 6ft x 1ft concrete 'boards' held in place with strong angle iron as per pic. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    edited March 2023
    As @StephenSouthwest says - decent quality timber just needs lined to prevent water loss and/or rotting. You can use old compost bags for that if you have them - stapled on. Raised beds tend to drain more readily, which is why they're so useful in wet areas, but the lining prevents too much water loss, although it also depends what you're growing and what the soil mix is like in them.
    How you finish off the top edges depends on whether you want them to look good or whether they're purely functional.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    Thanks for the replies. As usual my research is mostly done online which throws up so many different options it becomes confusing. 
  • Unless you use fairly thick timber your wooden beds will not last long, even lined.  We use wood the size of railway sleepers.  It is treated and very durable. Not sure where you are but www.withamtimber.co.uk are good and deliver free in Lincs and some neighbouring areas.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,688
    I used pressure treated timber for my raised beds.  I lined the sides with old compost bags.  The top edges were bordered with a similar timber ( stained for aesthetic purposes ) and I haven't had any problems so far - 5 years on.   
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    I use good quality fencing timber, and have used that many times before. Lined, they last for a very long time.
    The ones in this garden have been in nine/ten years now.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,576
    We didn't put them in, but ours are sleepers (a mix of old and new), put in probably about 15+ years ago. No liner, so a couple of the old ones are rotting in places - so the insects move in, then the birds peck the wood, and rain gets in. I haven't got a plan for how exactly to patch it up when it's not doing its job.. so if you do use sleepers, make sure they're treated and lined if the raised beds are big and permanent! 
    Concrete is a good call, you can always clad it if you prefer the look of wood. 
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    Thank you for these responses. Very helpful 👍