Forum home Plants

What am I growing?

zugeniezugenie Posts: 834
I think I asked this last year and was going to wait and see what the flowers look like, except they didn’t flower!! At least not that I saw, so I thought I’d try again, what do you think these are?

Background info:
growing in fairly shaded spot, gets mostly morning sun (east facing), sandy loam soil, and there is a large oak tree just the other side of the fence, mostly cut back now but the big roots are still there.

Pictures:

All answers gratefully received!!

• PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,484
    Muscari can look a bit like that, it likes free draining soil and sun to flower well.  The leaves can start appearing in late autumn.  I removed lots of them last year, the bulbs looked suspiciously like yours @zugenie!
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,630
    Only today I saw some muscari in flower. You might find some tiny flowers developing at the base? Also possible if they have recently set seed you will just have leaves.  Do you have some larger clumps in your garden?
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • bédébédé Posts: 3,073
    Look at a current thread "what is this plant"/.   Very similar.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,484
    bédé said:
    It does look very similar, not muscari then!
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,711
    bédé said:
    See link to  thread below.
    The debate continues.
    All we need are flowers.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1071080/what-is-this-plant/p1
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • SYinUSASYinUSA Posts: 243
    Do they have an odor? I used to have a patch of wild onion in the lawn that looked very much like that. I cried and cried every time I had to cut the grass, especially those first couple of cuts in the spring.