Forum home The potting shed

Locating Dear Joan

We've been trying to locate a rose by Ronnie Rawlins called "Dear Joan", to gift to our father in memory of our late mother who passed away just before Christmas. Unfortunately all avenues have failed and the supplier of Ronnie's roses, Styal Roses, have informed us that the plant is out of production and that Ronnie has no "Budwood". 

Is anyone aware of how/where we could get an example?
or
Are there any members who have this variety in their garden who could provide a cutting?
Many Thanks Chris.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,456
    If you have no luck, maybe choose a different rose with a suitable name, for example this one, "Always Remembered" is a similar-ish peachy colour https://styleroses.co.uk/shop/always-remembered-rose/.
    Roses are sometimes discontinued when better ones are bred - more floriferous, more disease-resistant etc.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Lyn said:
    Thanks Lyn.
    Ill give them a try
  • JennyJ said:
    If you have no luck, maybe choose a different rose with a suitable name, for example this one, "Always Remembered" is a similar-ish peachy colour https://styleroses.co.uk/shop/always-remembered-rose/.
    Roses are sometimes discontinued when better ones are bred - more floriferous, more disease-resistant etc.
    Thanks Jenny
    Ill give them a try
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,636
    Not a rose but there is a Pulmonaria called 'Joans Red'.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    How about planting a rose in Joan’s favourite colour and getting a little garden plaque made up saying ‘Joan’s Rose’ or ‘In Memory of Joan’ ? That way you can have your pick of fragrant, healthy and floriferous roses in that colour range.

Rose growers rename the same rose all the time for different markets and purposes, including for those expensive ‘name a rose’ services - so no reason why you can’t do the same!

If you really want Joan officially in the name, Peter Beales offers a red rose called ‘Joan Beales’ but no idea what it’s like:

https://www.classicroses.co.uk/roses/joan-beales-shrub-rose.html
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,636
    I think @Nollie has made a really good suggestion some roses are far better than others in terms of general health and flowering. I have purchased plants in the past with names of family members not always the best choice a rose that is floriferous and healthy would be my first choice.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • We've been trying to locate a rose by Ronnie Rawlins called "Dear Joan", to gift to our father in memory of our late mother who passed away just before Christmas. Unfortunately all avenues have failed and the supplier of Ronnie's roses, Styal Roses, have informed us that the plant is out of production and that Ronnie has no "Budwood". 

Is anyone aware of how/where we could get an example?
    or
    Are there any members who have this variety in their garden who could provide a cutting?
    Many Thanks Chris.