Forum home Plants

Plant id please

Can you help name these two plants, im trying to find my old favs after moving
this one I know is I vibernam but any idea which sort? 

And this one I would dearly love to know this purple lilac and this is flowering in July and then has these seed heads after and disappears during winter and regrows in the spring is it some sort of cornflower?????? 

Thankyou for any help much appreciated 

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    top picture looks like Weigelia, not sure of the blue flower but it does look familiar.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    The blue flower is Catananche caerulea.

Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    I agree with Weigela for the shrub, not Viburnum. There are several dark-leaved varieties that you could choose from.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,817

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Omg people you’re amazing - you have helped so much -  virtual cake to all. Finding the name of that blue plant has meant so much I new it had to look cornflower ish 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    There are also lots of cornflowers which are easy from seed too @victoryhamster, so you could have a few more in different colours if you like them   :)
    The one you have can also be grown from seed if you want to rather than buying a new plant. 
    Weigelas are fairly easy to get too, but the ones with dark foliage are less common. There's one called   Wine and Roses which also seems to be called Alexandra. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Ooh I’ve not tried seeds in ages you may have inspired the muse, that wine and roses is gorgeous I love the variegation of the foliage and it being dark adds lovely drama 
  • RBMancRBManc Posts: 58
    @victoryhamster The white variety (Catananche Caerulea Alba) @Fairygirl mentioned is really lovely if you fancied mixing it up - it has white petals but a purpley/pink eye in the centre. They are really easy to grow from seed! I grow them in small modules and they germinate really quickly and I get pretty much 100% germination. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874
    @victoryhamster ... love your name  B)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    I've grown C. Black Ball in the past, and got some seed recently as I fancied having it again. That and the white one @RBManc mentions, would give a nice display to go with your blue one.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...