Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

Morning all, can anyone identify these bulbs? Not sure if they are agapanthus, nerines, or something else. Many thanks, Johnny

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    nerine? amarylis?
    Devon.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    Are you sure they are bulbs? my Daylilies (Hemerocallis) look very like that at the moment too.
  • We grow a lot of daylilies, and none of them look like that.  Daylilies have more tuberous roots than bulb-type roots, and they generally don't become exposed at ground level like that. The leaves are a little different, too; more of a distinct V-shape and more pointed at the tips, and the fans are flatter sideways, if that makes sense. 
    New England, USA
    Metacomet soil with hints of Woodbridge and Pillsbury
  • @johnnypenstemon they’re nerines.
  • @johnnypenstemon they’re nerines.
    Many thanks all for coming back. I’ll go with rd13’s conviction that they’re nerines.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Nerenes,   You can gently pull them apart and replant with their noses out of the soil. 
    I can’t grow them in the ground here, far too wet,  they like dry soil and sunny weather. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I had to look those up - they are gorgeous!  Unfortunately not hardy in my zone, which is probably why I've never seen them before.
    New England, USA
    Metacomet soil with hints of Woodbridge and Pillsbury
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,824
    Nerines grow very well in the sandy soil of Norfolk in the sun, but unfortunately my garden is a bit on the shady side for them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • clematisdorsetclematisdorset Posts: 1,192
    I have a few of these but they are in too much shade and have less growth. I will try to move them to  drier, sunnier conditions. Could they work in a standard hanging-basket I wonder?
    Where the Wild Things Are
     ...that is where I would prefer to be...
    COASTAL SOUTHERN ENGLAND...silty-sandy-loam ravaged by wind
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,710
    I had to look those up - they are gorgeous!  Unfortunately not hardy in my zone, which is probably why I've never seen them before.
    Where are you CrankyYankee?
    They grow well up here on Perthshire and Fife.
    Pics below from Branklyn garden, NTS and St Andrews Botanic garden

I have few young ones but still not as fab as these pics.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .