Forum home Plants

Cut flowers for September

Tall treesTall trees Posts: 175
Can you help, I’d like to grow flowers in my garden so I can use them in September for a wedding, thank you 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,472
    How much space do you have? It's very difficult to get the timing exactly right because weather conditions - temperature, sun, rainfall - are so unpredictable, so whatever you choose it might be best to sow fortnightly batches and hope that one batch will be flowering at the right time. I think you'd be looking at annuals because most perennials take a few years to get into full swing. An exception would be dahlias if you got them as big tubers or growing plants.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,592
    Dahlias and chrysanths.  Cosmos as  airy fillers.   All will repeat flower over a period of time. I used gladioli in October,   but you have to plant at intervals to get the timing right.      What colour scheme do you want?
    Everyone raved over the giant dahlia  cafe au lait, and also labyrynth.   They can go as a single stem in used bottles.  Sweet peas are lovely but mine have always gone mildewy by September.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,592
    Charity shops are a good source of vases if you don't mind the mismatched sort of look.
  • Tall treesTall trees Posts: 175
    It’s the type of flowers I need to know what to grow, thank you
    I’m not sure if they are going for a set colour, it’s for a friend 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,870
    It's the time of year when flowers are in quite bright colours. You could choose zinnias, rudbeckias, lavatera "silver cup" and calendulas as well as the cosmos and dahlias already mentioned. You could sow seed if you have the facilities or buy plug plants.

When my daughter married in August years ago I made a bed in the vegetable garden to sow seeds for cut flowers.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,870
    My daughter's wedding wasn't grand, it had a countryside, flowery sort of theme and she had butterflies on her wedding dress. These are some of the flowers we used, mostly posies for putting on the tables. They are waiting on an old garden table to be set out the next day. It was early August so earlier than the wedding you are helping with, therefore not all the same flowers that you would use.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    Thank you, they look beautiful