Forum home Plants

Tom thumb winter casualty.

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    @Marlorena has IDd it as a Pittosporum, so what you have is Pittosporum Tom Thumb. It's the Pittosporum bit that's important for advice etc.  :)

It's that swing of conditions and temps that has caused the problems, and if you had the very hot summer too, that all just adds to it. Hot/dry, then wet then freezing, then repeating, all makes it difficult. I've lost Phormiums that would normally be fine even in our usual winters, because we had a mild autumn, then a rapid swing from the normal very wet November/December, to a sudden freeze. Plants didn't get their usual chance of adapting gradually to the winter weather. 
    Many plants have been affected all over the UK, but I wouldn't write off the evergreen shrubs or the Acers just yet. Acers here where I am are only just starting to get a few bits of new, very tiny, spots of growth, so just give them a little time and hopefully you'll get them recovering   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,336
    I have 2 Pittosporums Tom Thumb. One is in a sheltered spot and is absolutely fine. The other is in a relatively sheltered spot apart from winds from the NE. It looks dreadful.

It nearly went when the Beast from the East took it's toll, but eventually recovered (even if it did take most of the summer). Since then it often looks quite rough at the end of winter - but this year it looks really bad. It's not dead and would almost certainly recover but, to be honest, life is too short to wait months for it to be an attractive plant again. 

It's coomin' oot.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down