Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing edibles against a fence?

Any suggestions on which food crop I could grow on a path in a SW-facing corner against a fence? It gets sun almost all afternoon & evening in summer. Fruit or veg, I don't mind, as long as it'll grow in a container and doesn't need bringing under shelter in winter. Preferably perennial, although I realise that would limit my choices! Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    Strawberries. Blueberries if you use ericaceous soil in the pot. Wild rocket.
    Tomatoes if you're able to grow them outside. That will largely depend on your location. Toms aren't perennial though - you'd grow every years from seed or from small plant you can buy in GCs etc  :)
    The thing is - there's not much point growing stuff you don't like, so perhaps if you let us know your likes and dislikes, that would help with suggestions  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I'd go with Strawberries too but also various herbs - as said, what will you eat/use to give a better idea for suggestions  :)
  • Given the current issues, I'd say tomatoes, interspersed with basil.
    You could then use the space for rocket, etc, when the tomatoes are finished.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,576
    Strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries, courgettes & tomatoes are no bother to replace each year. 
  • Thanks to all for suggestions. As a long-time vegetarian, I'll eat practically every fruit & veg known to humankind, so I don't have any strong personal preferences about what to grow. However, with increasingly painful joint problems I'd prefer a perennial so I don't have to mess with the containers too often. Training fruit up the fence would be good, but not hanging containers (too much watering required!). I guess a small apple espalier is probably my best bet... Thanks anyway everyone.
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,079
    @Molly Bloom have a look for a thornless loganberry. Perennial - needs tying in every year and the old stems cut back - but tough and easy to grow and lovely fruit that you can't buy in the shops - it's a raspberry x blackberry. Another similar one is a tayberry, which I've not grown so I don't know how easy it is.
    Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • Sounds exactly right for my odd spot - thanks! I tried a tayberry some years ago and got exactly 3 barely edible fruits from it, so I sort of went off those a bit! I probably did something wrong and could try again, I suppose, but the loganberry sounds nicer. Will give it a go, def.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    The problem is - in a container, any plant is dependent on you for everything. Fruit needs decent soil and enough food to do well, and pollinators as well, if what you grow isn't self fertile. 
    If you aren't able to maintain them well enough, potted fruit won't thrive and fruit as well as it should. The pot also has to be big enough    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • If you want a Hardy perennial that will crop then I'd say any of the above suggestions. You can grow practically anything in pots and their is a variety for anything, even dwarf apples, pears, plumbs etc which would grow in pots and obviously pretty much any vegetable. 
    Happy Gardening