Forum home Plants

Sequestered iron

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 929
Every spring I give my potted acid lovers a sequestered iron and plant tonic. I usually buy a box of sachets but am guessing this is a very expensive way of doing it. What do you use to give yours an iron boost? tia

• I have used the sachets too but some of the liquid seaweed product have sequestered iron in them too. May work out a bit cheaper.  I would say though if you're happy with the method and you can afford to continue that's what I would do.
    AB Still learning

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    I think a big box of it would be cheaper than the sachets, but would end up a solid block. That happens even with the sachets I use once opened. I end up having to chip bits off, even though I endeavour to keep it dry..
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    As @Allotment Boy says, there are liquid seaweed feeds containing extra iron, which is what i use.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021
    Buy a large box and transfer the contents to a plastic tub?

I buy fat balls for birds in plastic tubs and these are great for storing things I want to keep dry.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bédébédé Posts: 3,074
    Work out the Iron content and do the same with Sulphate of Iron.  Humus itself does the act  of sequestering; if you feel you need, add some ctric acid/lemon juice.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    edited February 2023
    Iron is one of the more common elements, it is everywhere: soil and rotting vegetation, and is responsible for the brown colour.  But not readily taken up by some plants that evolved in acidic conditions and are now planted in lime.

Does anyone remember loose tea?  Tea leaves used to be the standard way to blue an hydrangea.  Nature's own sequestered iron.  

Does anyone remember tea pots.  Leftover mashed tea used to be the go-to plant tonic. Obviously left to cool.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 929
    Thank you to everyone who responded. @bede, Is it ok to empty the loose tea out of the used bags and sprinkle into the pots?
    Meomye, yes.  

What is the word for sprinkling a soggy mass?
  • Lobbing.