Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog sightings

Over the last two nights we've seen a hedgehog on the house security cameras. Just wondering if anyone else has had any activity in their areas?

We have a separate wildlife camera on the hedgehog box but the shots from that are only downloaded on a Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing if the one in our box is starting to wake up or maybe getting a bit hungry.
Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,457
    The first hedgehog appearance here caught on camera was around 9th February, l'm pretty sure that's the earliest in all the time we've had a camera out. He's (?) appeared several times since then, but not every night.
    I always have a dish of water put out, but haven't started up the feeding station yet. We have one hedgehog that won't use it and another that dashes inside with speed of Usain Bolt. There was a large rat in the garden a few weeks ago so l'm a bit nervous about putting food out.
  • CatDouchCatDouch Posts: 481
    Hi @1945crewood   a hedgehog was unexpectedly seen in my next door neighbour’s garden on Wednesday night. We have a hole in our adjoining fence and we both feed them, last year we had about 5 regularly visiting.  So I set up my feeding station and wildlife camera yesterday but only had a mouse visit when I checked the camera this morning!  I wasn’t that surprised as it was -1C last night so I think the hedgehogs are stirring, but perhaps only out and about on milder nights.
    South Devon 
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 2,225
    Two in the garden on Wednesday evening, polished off three bowls of Spikes semi moist and half a bowl of water.

Going to be cold for the next week or so which will probably mean they'll disappear for a short while but, I suppose it depends on how hungry they're.
  • Good to hear they're all keeping safe.

On the wildlife camera that covers the hedgehog box we get the occasional sightings of foxes. Last week the camera took more shots than normal for this time of year. The fox, for some strange reason, came and lay down in the area in front of the box and had a nap for well over half an hour. Every time the fox moved, it triggered the camera.
    Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.
  • Have had hedgehog signs for two weeks now. Can't say it's early as one year ours never hibernated. Now it? has been every night this week, so am planning to put out the camera this weekend.
  • Just downloaded the videos from our wildlife camera and they do show the hedgehog going in and out of the box. Looking a little sleepy and not wide awake.
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 2,225
    As cold as it was last night, all three bowls were empty this morning, hunger must have taken precedent over the need to stay warm and cosy, but then a full tummy will go a long way to help with that.
  • I understand that the process of waking uses alot of energy,  so that means they have to find a food source @Sheps
  • 1945crewood1945crewood Posts: 170
    A bit of an update, my first hedgehog argument this week.

Checking the weeks videos from the hedgehog cameras, two were having a right old tussle which ended up with one rolling the other out of the way and then storming off into the house.

I guess they were falling out over who gets to sleep in a nice cosy hedgehog house. I've no idea if they ever share but there's room enough for more than one in there.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,457
    Some information about hedgehog fights @1945crewood

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/hadfighting/

I have seen them on camera shoving one another in the water dish etc. It always makes me smile when the agressor runs off and and the other uncurls oh so cautiously...