Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple trees

Hi all I'm thinking of planting out a couple of apple trees and I'm wondering if this bit of ground would suit obviously I'll dig it out but I'm thinking if it's to small any help would be great thanks Roy

• Thanks for your help it's about 1 metre by 3 long I take your point about shed but there is access from front and back I'll look somewhere else but it's a small garden
  • I'm no expert but have just researched apple trees and planted 3. My concerns would be the lack of space for a tree to grow. Even if you plant one towards the edge of that strip, it would still have less than 1m to spread which isn't all that much. I'd also think about how much light would be available, especially with the shed and a building so close by.

If you have a small garden, maybe think about a bush/semi dwarf tree, which has a trunk of only 50-60cm, with an ultimate tree size of 2.5-3.5m. You can, though, still end up with a spread of 3m. I know you said you were thinking of 2 trees but you may be better off with one, hopefully planning around other trees to pollinate with in the area.

• If the site is properly prepared I think you could grow one espaliered apple or pear there, trained against proper supports fixed to the wall on the left. 

You would have to choose a suitable variety, not only for the site and amount of available sunlight, but of course also a variety that responds well to the espalier training, on a suitable rootstock, and that will fruit with limited pollination partners. 

I have found these people a great source of advice https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/trees/apple-trees

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,502
    How much sun does it get?

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Quite a lot up until about 6 in the summer