Forum homeβ€Ί Fruit & veg

Require Advice on apple tree

Morning people. πŸ‘‹ in some serious need of some ADVICE & *HELP*..... I thought I got a bargain in tesco 2 fruit trees for Β£12 so I got a cheery tree and an apple tree (jonagold) as it says its sweet. The daughter chose it. AFTER speaking to a gardening friend they said check the self pollinating on Google πŸ™ˆ well now I need help.... Google says its a triploid and needs at least 2 other apple trees! One post says I need just 1 like Gala ect. I'm soooo confused because if I get a *Gala* apple tree that won't be pollinated but the "jonagold" I need a self pollinated apple tree that blossoms in the same group any suggestions plz πŸ™ RHC pollinated group 3.

Β«1

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,445
    What sort of area do you live in? You might be surprised how many apple trees are in your area to provide the other pollen (that sounds like a dodgy dating email sorry). Bees will fly a good mile or so to visit various trees. If you have space it never hurts to have more apple trees though but unless you're miles from other people then I would bet you don't need another one.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,292
    I agree with @wild edges - lots of people with gardens grow apples so pollination isn't usually a problem - even with a triploid variety.
    See how it goes over the next few years.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • If you live in a suburban area where a lot of people have gardens/grow their own plants and fruit/veg you should be fine.Β 
  • wild edges said:
    What sort of area do you live in? You might be surprised how many apple trees are in your area to provide the other pollen (that sounds like a dodgy dating email sorry). Bees will fly a good mile or so to visit various trees. If you have space it never hurts to have more apple trees though but unless you're miles from other people then I would bet you don't need another one.

I will be moving to an estate. If I buy a gala one, the jonagold won't pollinate the gala πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ is there an apple tree that self pollinates thats in group 3?

• Seriously, I wouldn't be worrying about buying a second (or third!) apple tree at this stage, because in all probability you won't need one (as @wild edges and @Pete.8 have said).Β  If in a few years you are disappointed with the yield of your Jonagold you could then think about getting pollination partners for it.Β  This site:
    https://www.orangepippintrees.com/trees/apple-trees/jonagold
    gives a lot of good advice.
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    Yes they have a pollination checker too, if you enter 'Jonagold', the list of pollination partners is huge and includes many of the most popular varieties of apple and ornamental crab. Some of which will probably already be growing in your area.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".Β 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".Β 
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,501
    Unless you live five miles from other gardens you probably don't need to worry about a pollinator.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • PlashingPlashing Posts: 328
    Don't worry I have a Jonagold also have a discovery aple tree grown from a pip and three more apple trees two of them are brambleys and another eating apple which I don't know the name,I had plenty on them last year the only troble I had was the flaming grubs I will have to get some traps.
  • Plashing said:
    Don't worry I have a Jonagold also have a discovery aple tree grown from a pip and three more apple trees two of them are brambleys and another eating apple which I don't know the name,I had plenty on them last year the only troble I had was the flaming grubs I will have to get some traps.
    Ah so you have more than just the Jonagold.Β 

Oh wow grown from a pip πŸ‘πŸ‘ would love to hear how you managed that and how long it took to actually grow!Β