Forum home Fruit & veg

Maris Piper 2nd Early or Maincrop?

Hi, 
I just bought a 2kg bag of maris piper seed potatoes. They have a 2nd early tag on them with information etc. However upon researching them online it says they're maincrop/early maincrop. Which one are they and can I grow them as a 2nd early if they are supposed to be maincrop as I want to harvest them around July time. Many thanks
Happy Gardening

• They are whatever you want them to be, harvest them at whatever time suits the potatoes or you.
    They just get bigger the longer you leave them in.....
  • They are whatever you want them to be, harvest them at whatever time suits the potatoes or you.
    Thanks Mike, I thought this might be the case. Could be an experiment. 
    Happy Gardening
    Yes have a go and see what happens, different vendors class different potatoes differently!
    I've got your MPs as a main crop, I bought Orla as a first early, yet it says maincrop on the bag. Google it and it says early or main dependent on when you sow or dig them up.

Are you putting them in the ground or containers?
  • i deal with potatoes differently based from when are planted
    till the time they are harvested.  70, 90 days  when you plant 
    really does not matter. 
    Yes have a go and see what happens, different vendors class different potatoes differently!
    I've got your MPs as a main crop, I bought Orla as a first early, yet it says maincrop on the bag. Google it and it says early or main dependent on when you sow or dig them up.

Are you putting them in the ground or containers?
    I have some big potato sacks that I used last year. They were very successful. 
    Happy Gardening