Forum home Fruit & veg

broad beans

Hi when can you put broad beans outside? Originally I planted some in a pot outside but think slugs might have eaten the seedsas I found them hiding under some dead plant stems, so I grew 2 inside. They have germinated so was wondering when I can transplant outside?
Thanks
London

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    edited February 2023
    When you have hardened them off. I have some at that stage and am planning to plant more for succession as I love broad beans. I'm hoping to grow the Crimson flowered one that is pretty enough for inclusion in borders.
    I have to take precautions in my greenhouse because of mice, which can always squeeze in somewhere. They love bean and pea seeds, includng sweet peas and it is sad and infuriating to go in and find all the new shoots lying on top of the compost :#
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 392
    An old fashioned remedy apparently to stop mice eating pea and bean seeds is to soak in parrafin before sowing
  • pclark42pclark42 Posts: 185
    I have cultivated 20 broad beans in my house, I am a little worried because they have shot up to 12 cm high, probably light-seeking, do you think I should put them in the polytunnel yet ? I do keep a paraffin heater on, and it is 10 or 12 degrees mostly, two questions, Buttercupdays what's the name of the crimson flowering ones? and does anyone know if we are having more frost. As for mice ah ah ah the cat sorts that problem out.
  • Broad beans are fairly hardy,  I have 2 selfsown ones showing on my plots outside,  but @Buttercupdays is right you will need to harden them off (gradually acclimatise) if you put them straight out they will suffer. On sunny days put them out for a few hours, gradually increasing over around two weeks. If you have some fleece for the first few nights that will help too. You can direct sow now if you want. 
    AB Still learning

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,817
    I've always had the best results by sowing outside in March but not when it's very cold.
    Only 2 plants? Not more than 1 helping. I sow 2 double rows 5m long.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I will be sowing similar amounts to you @Busy-Lizzie . My point was the two that are on my plots now have survived in the soil and come up all on their own.  They are hardy.
    AB Still learning

• Oddly enough they are just called 'Broad Bean, Crimson flowered'!
    I got mine from Chilterns but I am sure others will stock them too.