Forum home Wildlife gardening

Even if you make a mess of it, they will come!

Having made a mess of installing my pre-formed pond liner, I just left it in situ until my flexible liner arrived. This morning I went to the allotment to plant more fruit bushes and found this little fellow has already moved in! Am cock-a-hoop!

To See the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    Are you really Kevin Costner @Bertha-Badger:D
    I had one who did the same - he turned up in an empty pot that was sitting outside for a week or so, and had an inch or two of rain water in it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • That is adorable @Bertha-Badger I would love to have a frog! I installed my pre-formed pond 18 months ago and don't have any frogs. The hoverflies and damselflies were a joy though. Even the birds swooped in when they felt safe. Will you be planting your pond up soon? 
    Where the Wild Things Are
     ...that is where I would prefer to be...
    COASTAL SOUTHERN ENGLAND...silty-sandy-loam ravaged by wind
  • clamarver said:
    That is adorable @Bertha-Badger I would love to have a frog! I installed my pre-formed pond 18 months ago and don't have any frogs. The hoverflies and damselflies were a joy though. Even the birds swooped in when they felt safe. Will you be planting your pond up soon? 

I'm almost finished remaking the pond. I've put in a pygmy waterlily, Yellow Flag Iris and an Iris Black Gamecock. The froggies have got a nice RHS Hedgehog stepping stone to sit on and I dragged an old tree stump over to provide more cover/lounging space! I built a little pebble ladder for climbing out of the pond.

The flag Iris will unfortunately fill that very quickly - they're dreadfully thuggish. You'll need a very sturdy container to keep it in check. 
    Once you have some other planting around the sides, that will give wildlife more cover, and make them feel safer too. Any logs or rocks you can source will add to that cover too.
    I was sawing up some tree branches yesterday for a project, and the bits I can't use were added to all the existing stuff around the pond  :)

This is the sort of thing you can do. Pond is still quite new [done spring 2021] and this was taken last May. You can push small plants in among the rocks and logs  

• Wow, your pond is amazing. I am keeping an eye out for more rocks and logs. I had my eye on a large blackish rock in the undergrowth at my allotment. I eventually picked it up the other day to find it was a large turnip! Ah well, the hunt continues.
    The previous pond was a similar size to yours @Bertha-Badger, and I only decided to make a bigger one because it was a bit too shady for the little water lily. I often do things on a whim  ;)
    The turnip would be fine next to your pond - it'll provide somewhere for insects until it breaks down  :D
    All the rocks I have were already in and around the garden, especially just outside where my car is, so it was just a case of digging them out and shifting them. 

• Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,294
    Hi @Bertha-Badger,

Your pond is already looking good.
    I agree with @Fairygirl about the yellow flag iris .... they are total thugs.
    They also seed about.
    They do have their uses though. I have them growing along the bank of our river. They cover about 30 metres, and look fabulous when in flower. And they do a grand job stabilising the bank. But in your situation I would take them out now while you can before they get going.

Bee x
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
    Indeed @Bee witched. We had them all along the boundary at the previous house, where the water fed away from the ponds, as they were spring fed. They stayed there no problem, but there was plenty of room. In a small space, ie an average domestic garden or similar, it can be a real nuisance. 

• I hope you can have some rest and recovery after digging the pond in @Bertha-Badger ! It is great you have so much space around the pond for planting and shelter. Will you be able to plant marginal plants around the pond or is that not possible?

I was unable to dig my pond in due to raised tree roots from a neighbouring garden so I am having to build up in order for the pond to be lower than its surroundings. At the moment I can only have pots near the pond but I am planning to create a rock garden around it. Is your frog still in your pond?!  :) The pebbles and pebble ladder are a good idea. I am trying to recall the plants I put in my pond. The main one was also a pygmy waterlilly and some watercress and aquatic forget-me-not. I also have a marsh marigold but I moved that away from my pond area where it would be brushed against because I later realised it can be quite toxic ( but is of course good for pollinators).
  • @Fairygirl I like the way you have a 'beachy'look with the golden stones and the driftwood/branches. The Acer looks lovely in the sun. I hope mine looks half as good one day!  :)