Forum home Garden design

New Garden - Design help and feedback appreciated

Hello, new member and first post looking for some help with garden design. 
We moved into our house last April which has a nice size but uninspiring garden made up of lawn in the middle with a patio and deck at each end. 
I am a complete amateur but have enjoyed reading and learning some basics about gardening and have really enjoyed it so far. I have tested the soil which is Alkaline chalk and then dug a couple of beds to at least get some plants in ready for this year. I would now like to put a proper plan down so I have a structure to work towards rather than random beds / plants here and there. I have included a couple of photos, 1 is the current garden and 2nd is a design I drew. I would really appreciate any feedback of the design as I have zero experience 
I have young children so need the trampoline and lawn. Plus have added wildlife pond and vegetable beds. 
Thank you. 

• Are you sure you want the compost right next to the patio? Just picturing a summer social gathering. If the trellis on the left is moved slightly further away from the veg beds a bin(s) could be placed behind thus concealing them from view.
    Southampton 
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    Hello and welcome. You’ve made a fantastic start, looking pretty accomplished already! I like the way the curved paths define the spaces and the trampoline cunningly disguised by hedging.

Personally I would tuck the compost heaps at the back somewhere behind the veg beds, maybe extend the left fork of the path to join up with the yew hedge but that’s just tiny details. Don’t underestimate the amount of garden equipment and tools you will amass so consider storage and work areas - you may find you will quickly outgrow the shed and will need for spaces to tuck stuff such as compost bags, wheelbarrows etc. out of the way.

There are 101 ways and geometrical ways you could divide up the space but you have clearly carefully thought through the needs of your family and what works for you.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,346
    Yew is very slow growing. By the time it is big enough to screen the trampoline, your children will probably have other interests.😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Sorry, yes welcome. @Nollie you obviously type with more fingers than my 2. That's why my comments are short and yours so much more detailed.
    Southampton 
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    But great minds and all that re the compost heap Mrs. B3-S!
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,863
    edited February 2023
    Hello Boswaldo, welcome to the forum. I think, apart from the compost - agree with the others, your design is pretty good. Good luck.

Will you be planting climbers, roses, clematis, on the fences? If so then make sure you know who owns the fences as you will need their permission. Fine if they are your fences.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I agree about the compost heap. Not easy things to keep looking tidy!
    My own thought is that you could get a more satisfying feel and lose some awkward angles by tweaking the edge of the patio and the curve of the brick path to make the lawn a long oval. Easier without the compost bins there :)
    If you move the trellis as has been suggested, you could also move the fork in the path down a little to match.
    It looks as if you have left grass round the trampoline. That is unlikely to thrive and will be a pain to mow so another surface might be better. Bark chippings are cheap and would be fine; if there are no cats in the vicinity.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,466
    I agree with the others. I think I would swap the compost bins and the pond. Compost bin next to the veg plot, pond near the patio where you can sit and watch the wildlife (could be at the other side of the patio if that's better in terms of sun and not cutting into the lawn). Also depending on the ages of the children, it might not be wise to have the pond near the trampoline and potentially out of sight of the house. I know there's a hedge there and trampolines have the netting round, but accidents happen and it's maybe best not to tempt fate.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,698
    I like the design and I’m unconvinced that what I am suggesting is any significant improvement but, for what it’s worth, 

- turn the vegetable beds through 90° allowing you to have three beds of staggered lengths rather than two, one of which has an awkward corner.

- I’m unconvinced by the divergence of the path. Children are unlikely to follow the path anyway and just make a beeline for the trampoline so I would take out the fork in the path.

- If the path is reconfigured it would give you more freedom to create a pond. What you have at present looks shoehorned into the site.

- You have made no provision for a rotary clothes line. Is that deliberate? Is there a regular clothes line on the left with one enormous clothes peg?

- Do you intend to incorporate a bird feeder? If so, consider sight-lines from the house and the minimisation of nuisance, and rats, from seed spillage.

- A compost bin back right rather than front left makes more sense.

- What are the four khaki green blobs? Even if shrubs not trees they’ll grow very much bigger than shown.

- If you deem yew to be too slow growing, boring, boring privet makes a fast-growing, easily maintained alternative and will be much loved by sparrows.

Rutland, England
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,586
    I'm looking at the pond site and wondering if it will get enough sun that side?