Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing aubergines outdoors?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on (or has tried) growing aubergines outdoors in a raised bed or pot. Most websites suggest it must be grown in a greenhouse or indoors but I was wondering if it would be possible to sow indoors and then plant out when the frost has passed. If anyone has any information on this I would be greatly appreciative!

• They need the humidity of a greenhouse and some space. Seeds to start now as they need a long-growing season. 
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    If you live somewhere southern and can give them a spot up against a south facing wall you may have a chance.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,715
    I am SE UK, I grow them in pots by my Greenhouse,near the veg plot. Seeds started indoors,north facing kitchen window sill. They do need a long season as do peppers. I use a John Innes,seed compost first off,then any multi purpose compost
    These were the smaller white variety, this year I have Moneymaker F1. Had a very good crop last year. I normally grow cucumbers in that green house,but last year, I lost a lot because it got so hot. Only the peppers will be green house grown this year.
  • I am SE UK, I grow them in pots by my Greenhouse,near the veg plot. Seeds started indoors,north facing kitchen window sill.
    Thanks that is really helpful! What were the timings like for that. Do you remember which months you planted and harvested? I would probably do moneymaker F1 as well.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    Aubergines need a long season of warmth to grow. Depending on your climate, larger varieties may not grow large enough to be edible grown outside, so you may be better trying a faster-maturing mini variety?
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Dilip_UKDilip_UK Posts: 114
    I grew aubergines from small plants  to full maturity outdoor. It was my first time, I have a north facing garden, not much sunlight but reasonably warm in south London area. So surprised and pleased managed to get a good crop. Give it a try, it is most certainly possible. 

• Well done  :):)
  • McRazzMcRazz Posts: 415
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on (or has tried) growing aubergines outdoors in a raised bed or pot. Most websites suggest it must be grown in a greenhouse or indoors but I was wondering if it would be possible to sow indoors and then plant out when the frost has passed. If anyone has any information on this I would be greatly appreciative!
    ...and here i am having failed miserably at growing them indoors for the last three years. Definitely my bogey plant!!!  :D
  • Same experience here @McRazz . The only year I’ve managed a crop was when I bought some sad plugs from a bargain bench late in the season, plonked them in the greenhouse bed and let them get smothered by my rampant tomato plants. All the plants carefully nurtured since have produced b@@ger all 🤣
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham