Forum home The potting shed

Catherine Mansley, the new editor

Hello @Catherine Mansley. Daniel mentioned in his Christmas post that you are taking over as editor. I hope you will enjoy your new job.

I'm writing to you as we haven't heard from you yet, unless I missed it, and I was wondering if it is possible to do something about some of the glitches on this site. There is a problem with photos, especially from phones and tablets. They arrive upside down on the site and will only download the right way up if the size is reduced a bit.

Another problem is changing your username. People have trouble with it, there is a thread about it. I can't add where I'm from on my profile so I put it on the bottom. Also what I wrote about myself in 2012 is now out of date and I can't change that either. Would it be possible to make it easier to change one's profile, please?

When this site was re-vamped we had a lot of help from Nora, who has since left. She said it was best to keep threads to less than 1000 posts. Is that still true? The Forkers thread is changed every month because of that but I have seen other threads with many more that 1000 posts. Has that glitch been fixed?

Thank you for any help and advice that you can give us.
Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

• BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,666
    One other glitch, though it’s minor: date of joining the forum shows up for all as November -1.
    Rutland, England
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,286
    An easier way to delete rather than edit a post within the time limit would be good. Doing the dot thing is a bit of a pain but is is intriguing when someone else does it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,817
    edited February 2023
    Sadly the ability to delete a post is a WUM's charter ... they can say the most incendiary things; it'll be there long enough to upset some folk; and then they can delete it  >:)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• UffUff Posts: 3,199
    Apart from all the glitches it would be nice to say hello.
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,286
    I get your point @Dovefromabove😒
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  •  @Busy-Lizzie Thankyou for raising the photo problem. I have also noticed if someone starts a post with my user name I can see it in my notifications. If thet write something first and puts my user name in the middle of what they want to say it doesn't apper in my notifications. 
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,498
    Sadly the ability to delete a post is a WUM's charter ... they can say the most incendiary things; it'll be there long enough to upset some folk; and then they can delete it  >:)
    Huh? What's WUM? What does this mean?
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,739
    Wind Up Merchant 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,772
    Just realised that I've started this thread at the weekend when Catherine is off work.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Perhaps we can bump it up on Monday morning...
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.