Forum home Garden design

Help prevent overwhelm

Hi,
Today I’ve had help to clear my garden and the guy has done far more than I thought possible. I have a 6ft x 9ft bed which is east facing in the south east it has a shed on one side a tree the other. Had brambles mixed with roses he’s got rid of all of it. I’m thinking narrow bed along the shed and possibly a climber in the back corner would love a raised pond, should I use weed suppressant the bed also extends behind an apple tree and lilac. I also have a lower level area about 6ft by 13ft all paved help he’s taking lots out too many sharp prickles but what do I fill the garden with - all my money also spent on clearing the garden hence my panic any places to start?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    A photo will really help with advice and ideas @amy-brown3 , and also your rough location, soil type etc , and most importantly - your budget, and what time you have for maintenance.  :)
    If you make a wee list of things you like and dislike, colours etc, that can help when you make decisions.
    For photos - click on the link that looks like hills, and follow the info. Try and keep the pix fairly small as they load better. It's an ongoing problem with the site unfortunately.

It can be daunting having a blank slate, but ultimately it can be much more fulfilling  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,576
    I'd start with a few shrubs or trees if you're planning for those - some big plants to lessen the big space overwhelm, then you have a few landmarks you can plan around.
    You can use cardboard as weed suppressant, that way you don't have to take it up again, just let it rot in.
    What kind of plants do you want to see, what shapes/heights do you prefer, do you want to attract lots of wildlife in, what colours, do you have pets or kids to consider, etc?

• @amy-brown3 I agree if you can upload a photo or two that would be helpful. If you are feeling overwelmed can I suggest don't try to do everything at once. There is a saying that the best gardens evolve, something that is certainly true. Welcome!
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 834
    Remember you don’t have to do it all at once! Get your basics decided first like where do you want a seating area and where things like sheds or other structures are or are going, then you can look at the space you have left for borders, lawn etc

It can be helpful to list all the things you want (for ex. Shed, patio, greenhouse, lawn, veg beds) first then you know what you’re trying to achieve!