Forum home Wildlife gardening

wildlife pond

Discovered pond liner was leaking so cleared pond took liner out managed to get a few frogs in bowl with mud.  The thing is I have decided to fill the pond in. Will the frogs find their own way to a pond somewhere.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    They should do @claudeine - they only spend a small amount of time in the pond itself. 

If you wanted, you could make a very small area with water and a few plants, and put that mud/water in that you've removed. If you have plenty of planting around, especially with some shady areas, they may well stay in your garden anyway. A water source is highly beneficial for all sorts of creatures   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Agree with @Fairygirl The frogs really only need the permanent water source ( your pond ) in which to breed which starts around this time of year depending on weather.  After the breeding season is over, they tend to go for damp shady spots which offer sufficient cover.
    With luck there is a pond in someone's garden not too far away which your frogs will find their way to.
  • Thankyou for all your replys and advice. I am making a small pond area now I think that's a really good idea Fairygirl.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,872
    I've had all sorts of sizes of ponds, including a tiny one in this garden until I made a bigger one a couple of years ago. They've all been well used. 
    They're valuable for wildlife, regardless of size, and it's a lovely little focal point if you have it near your house. Watching all sorts of birds bathing and drinking, and wasps and bees using the shallows, is always a nice thing to do. 
    Good luck with it @claudeine - and come back if you need any further help from posters whether it's about suitable plants or anything else. There are several threads about ponds if you want to use the search option at the top of the page, although it isn't always very reliable - you often have to word it a certain way to get the most useful responses    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Glad you are going for a pond @claudeine Even a small one is good for all sorts of creatures - yourself included of course  :D  Look forward to an update when you can.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,302
    Good for you deciding on a small pond .I made one out of one of those garden bucket things for collecting garden rubbish and carting stuff about . I cut off the two handles and sunk it up to the top in the garden and filled it from the water butt .That was 2 years ago and it’s full of frogs newts and things I don’t know the name of .So glad I had a go ,hope your small pond gives you as much pleasure as mine gives to me .