Forum home Tools and techniques

Shredding brambles for compost?

I’ve treated myself to a garden shredder so I can compost more from my garden, if I cut off the roots (wouldn’t be adding those to the compost) and shred the rest of the bramble would it be ok to add this to my compost bins?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Personally- I wouldn't. Even without the risk of pieces sprouting, it's not ideal for a compost bin for obvious reasons.  ;)
    It would probably be fine shredded and used as a mulch, as long as it had been left sitting for a while to make sure it wasn't sprouting. Left to dry out would probably be the best idea. Not sure I'd want to try it though - it doesn't take much for brambles to re grow.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    We burn our Brambles, agree with @Fairygirl, never put them in the compost bin, unless you want more Brambles.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    I put brambles in the council green bin. Partly because shredded bits might sprout before they rot, but mostly because they're prickly so-and-sos and I don't want to be grappling with them to feed them into the shredder.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,394
    I do the same as Jenny. 
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,417
    I shred and put on the garden as mulch rather than add to the compost heap. Everything woody goes in. including brambles. no issues so far

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I shred dead bramble stems mostly, but have also shredded the thick straight green ones and used them as a mulch.  (No green bins hereabouts, and we're not allowed bonfires.)  So far, so good...
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Posts: 1,862
    zugenie said:
    I’ve treated myself to a garden shredder so I can compost more from my garden, if I cut off the roots (wouldn’t be adding those to the compost) and shred the rest of the bramble would it be ok to add this to my compost bins?

I'd say it depends on a couple of things really. Does your shredder finely shred or just make short chips? (That really depends on the type of blade arrangement in there.) The former is what you need. The latter could lead to problems of regrowth.

Your mention of "compost bins" makes me imagine the plastic dalek types. Absolutely nothing wrong with those but you're unlikely to reach the high temperatures necessary to kill things like weed seeds, weed roots & re-sprouting bits of stem. For that you need a larger volume and the ability to regularly turn, water & aerate your developing compost.

Over the past year I've invested much time, a fair bit of money & a lot of space into creating a composting system that gives me all the compost I need. For that reason I would put finely shredded bramble stems into mine.
    Clay soil - Cheshire/Derbyshire border

I play with plants and soil and sometimes it's successful

• KT53KT53 Posts: 8,952
    I've used shredded brambles in mulch and never had any problem.  Only shred the stems, not the roots.
  • If it's been shredded and thoroughly composted it won't be coming back as a bramble.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,581
    I shred and compost lots of brambles. A chunking shredder will leave possible bits to grow, but an impact shredder totally sorts them.  I mix them up with kitchen waste and  grass cuttings and they make good compost.  Roots I dig up and shove in the green waste bin for the council.