Forum home Fruit & veg

Garlic

I never get good results with my garlic. I have tried the garden centre bought and the leftover sprouting from the kitchen, I have always grown straight in the ground, and had waterlog trouble and draught. So I now have 10 nice cloves which are sprouting green shoots, where from here??? Help you lot

• Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 1,147
    edited January 2023
    My garden soil is very poor, so I grow mine in pots.
    Take a look here, it should help.https://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/garlic/grow-your-own
    Good luck.
  • Dilip_UKDilip_UK Posts: 114
    I grew mine in pots, relatively new at growing garlic in pots. Here is the pics of pots and part harvest. Managed to pick up large paint tubs from various free sources and typical plastic pots, so real cheap. Apart from issues with watering during the drought, had no issue. I find them easy to look after, not much effort. The taste is amazing, crop lasts from many months. I still have some left from the harvest last August.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    edited February 2023
    That looks really good @dbhattuk … I’m impressed 👍 
    What sort of compost did you use?
    Did you feed them, if so with what and how often?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I grow garlic in pots every year and find it easy to do.  Good spacing is very important as is the richness of the growing medium used, good watering and a sunny position.

There are plenty of "How to" videos online.  Take a look.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+grow+garlic,+you+tube&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB882GB882&oq=how+to+grow+garlic,+you+tube&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13i512j0i8i13i30i625j0i8i13i30j0i390l2.16818j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:244f21a7,vid:rgNm-8f8Y_w
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,402
    edited February 2023
    I grew garlic in the veg patch for the first time last year.  Tried 4 different varieties (most of which had Wight in the name) but the only one that bulked up into decent sized bulbs was Messidrome (?think thats how you spell it).  Planted in November and harvested in July - we’ve just got to the end of our supplies.  

Its the only one I’m growing this year, so hope it works as well as last year.

Our soil is quite heavy, and the bed is in a sunny spot.
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    I'm impressed with the garlic grown in pots. It's encouraged me to try again this year. Thanks for the link @Danae(dan-Ah-ee)
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
  • Pleasure, Uff.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,580
    @dbhattuk that is impressive!
    I find herbs are like breadmaking - people say you've either got it or you ain't, I can make bread but I'm rubbish with some herbs - my favourite, coriander, I've never been able to grow, yet my friend just used to leave a bit in a pot from the supermarket and it would go mental. 🤷‍♀️
  • Dilip_UKDilip_UK Posts: 114
    @Dovefromabove, thanks, yes nice crop indeed, will not win a prize but i am pleased. I used normal compost with grit to aid drainage, in terms of feed i used a onion fertilizer which i incorporated into the compost, no other feed. 

@Slow-worm, thanks, I am pleased with the crop. This was is my second year growing garlic but first year were better, larger bulbs, I don't think the drought last year helped, didn't get much water but still pleased with results. Okay I am so so with breadmaking, but i am okay with herbs, i often have a cycle of coriander pots on the go, as soon as one pot is used up. the other is ready. Please don't give up with herbs, keep trying!

@Uff, do give it a go.