Forum home Tools and techniques

Schwegler Bee Hotels

Does anyone have a UK company that sells their products please. I have had an email back from their German office but it only gives alink to one for bird boxes.
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,004
    It seems there is a global shortage - https://www.wildlifeservices.co.uk/insectboxes.html so why not make your own?   You can easily convert a bird box or a wooden wine box by filling it with cut hollow canes.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • They sell them on their own website, Google brings up some UK possibilities too.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,576
    I'm with Obelixx, they're so easy to make from a simple box with an overhang, some hollow canes and twigs - there's a gap in the market for any entrepreneurs!
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813
    I dont get the sun in my new garden so it maybe too shaded or cold for the bees.
    Thank you for your assistance
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,576
    Yes they do need morning sun really.  Although I've got a SW facing clay bank where miner bees live, and it's surrounded by wood, so you could adapt something maybe? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,748
    @NewBoy2 - I've had bees nesting in the hedgehog house which was in a shady corner by the shed. We had wasps the following year in a similar site -a few feet away.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • You need to be careful as the greater spotted woodpeckers are very keen on getting into the tubes. We have had to put extended wire over the tubes (made from bamboos in the garden). This allows the bees to get in but the GSW can't reach the tubes. It is fascinating to watch the bees going in and out and the leaf miner bees plug up the entrance with leaves from the garden.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,482
    I got mine from the link posted above (wildlife services).
    I've placed it in a log store near the house, it got used last year and currently has a few of the tubes blocked up with mud, inside are eggs/larve of some insect, no idea what..

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,482
    Here's some photos I've just taken showing some of the tubes in use. I've no idea what's in there, or if anything is still alive but the ends are still blocked up..