Forum home Garden design

Would you put a greenhouse here?

As I have a significant birthday this year my family have kindly offered to get me a greenhouse. I have a 5m square at the side of the house that for years housed the kids play area. They have long grown up but the area was left. I am considering a 10x8 that would fit in there (leaving 1.5m gap all around). It faces SW and gets full sun from about 9am/10am to about 2pm/3pm when the sun passes over the house next door before reappearing for the evening at about 5pm/6pm to sunset. Is this too shaded or would it work?

• Probably more than my GH gets and some shade can be very welcome at the height of summer, so I think you'll be fine on that score. There'll be less sun in winter/early spring though, so you will need to think whether you will have things in it then.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,856
    I agree, I think it would work. Lovely present.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • CatDouchCatDouch Posts: 483
    I had a new greenhouse last year and because of the available space it had to be placed in quite a shady area.  I was quite worried it wouldn’t get enough sun but it has been great, loads of tomatoes and peppers grown in there and all my seeds were started off in there so yes I’d say definitely go for it.  I’ve had so much pleasure from it and hopefully will do for years to come.
    South Devon 
  • It’s a perfect time. You get the morning sun (at 8 would be better) and avoid the afternoon heat. 

I my garden.

• didywdidyw Posts: 3,541
    Please post pictures of your new greenhouse when it is erected in that space!  I predict you are going to love it and will be spending many a happy hour in it!
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 542
    I have a polytunnel on North side of woodland. Provides protection to dormant potted plants in winter and grows perfectly acceptable tomatoes, beans and potatoes in summer. You will have great fun with your new GH.
  • Agree with the others.  A GH adds a whole new dimension to a garden so hope you enjoy it. The only downside I can see is that you may need to change your user name - once you get the GH up and running, I doubt you will have any "empty head" time  :D
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,502
    You can sell the play equipment and offset some of the greenhouse cost.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    perfect. 
    Please show us pics of the construction and finished item. 
    Well done you for such a lovely family. 
    Devon.
  • Thanks for all your replies. From what you say it looks like it's OK so time to start reading up on what's what with bases/glass/size/cost etc. Need to get out and look at some. No doubt I will have other questions for you all. 
    Thanks again.