Forum home Tools and techniques

New wheelbarrow, advice needed

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 795
edited 25 January in Tools and techniques
I would like one suitable for transporting soil, moving bits around the garden etc so not too heavy, possibly with pneumatic tyres ?  (are they the ones that don't puncture?) what do you recommend please? tia

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850
    pneumatic tyres do puncture, Pneumo refers to air. Solid tyres don't puncture. plastic bodies are lighter than metal and I prefer them for that reason, but they don't last as long as metal for me
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,578
    edited 25 January
    Ones with pneumatic tyres can puncture but they give a better 'ride'. Some tyres may be sold as puncture resistant.  Ones with solid tyres don't puncture but have less shock absorption.

I got a decent (pneumatic tyre) from a builders merchant. Cheaper than a garden centre and built for tough work. I much prefer a metal 'bin' to a plastic one. I think the plastic ones can become brittle after a couple of years and are likely to crack if you drop a pot in them.

At 5' 0' tall and tending towards a petite build I needed one that was lighter and more manoeuvrable. There are different styles and some are easier for (eg) tipping out compost etc. The chaps at the builder's merchant didn't mind me wandering around trying the different models in the yard. Can't remember which model I bought in the end - sorry. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854
    I bought a new one about 3 yrs ago from Wickes.
    It has a pneumatic tyre which is WAY better than a solid tyre like my old one.
    Construction is steel painted black.
    The only gripe I have is that within weeks the paint started peeling off in big sheets which is both annoying and a nuisance as I keep having to remove bits of paint from whatever is in the barrow. The entire thing is now very rusty.
    If I was buying new again I'd def get the pneumatic tyre, but I'd go for a plastic or even better galvanized construction rather than painted steel.

My 20ish yr old one with solid tyre was galvanized and the barrow itself is as good as new, but the solid type started breaking up.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,391
    Pneumatic tyres are much easier to wheel over bumpy ground.
    Mine is galvanized, doesn't rust. I like a decent flat bottom so plant trays fit in it. I had one that had quite a small flat area and a large sloping end, OK for weeds and compost but you can't put many plant trays in it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,578
    edited 25 January
    Yes - I should have said my metal 'bin' is an unpainted galvanised one. It's about 4 years old and the only bits that have deteriorated are the plastic covers on the ends of the handles. They became brittle after about 2 years and broke off. It's not a problem just having the bare metal handles.

I have a much older wheelbarrow with a solid tyre and I really don't like using it over bumpy or uneven ground. If it's full it becomes quite unstable. The pneumatic tyre just soaks it up.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 352
    I have had a Chillingham builders barrow for 16 years it is kept in a shed to protect from the weather, I've had several punctures but have put tyre seal in and stopped the problem
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 789
    edited 25 January
    About ten years ago, my horse poo barrow got run over by builders next to the field. They offered to replace it so I told them I wanted a pink one - just the thought of two burly builders buying that was fair compensation I thought, lol, well they did it! And it's been up and down a hill full of manure daily, carried fencing, rocks, car batteries, earth, rubble, dogs, slabs and people. I haven't even changed a tyre yet! So, a bog standard pink plastic one gets my vote! (You don't have to have pink.. 😉)
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850
    Mine came from an agricultural merchant, galvanised and with a pneumatic tyre.  It's easy to inflate with a foot pump if necessary.  I'm under 5ft tall and find it easy to manoeuvre - it has a "tipping bar" at the front which is useful if you move compost etc and need to tip it into a pile.  The bar stops the barrow twisting as you tip it.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,241
    Mine is now approaching 16 years old and has done a lot of work in our big garden.  My main recommendation is to go for DOUBLE WHEELS.  I find it sometimes useful to be able to push a mower AND pull the barrow which balances itself.  It also has the advantage of the centre of gravity being much further back than the more common single wheeled variety, thus taking much of the load weight off the handles.  Try one before you decide, possibly taking a heavy adult with you to represent your 'load'?
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,241
    PS -  I should have mentioned that the brand name of mine is 'Haemerlin' (French) and was supplied by Tooled Up from Enfield, who sadly no longer deliver to Ireland.