Forum home Problem solving

Large clematis out of control

Hi all

I planted clematis Bill Mackenzie about three years ago..big mistake as the area is far too  small and it has extended itself further in a couple of places.. it devours roses it is next to.. it is lovely climber but so vigorous...much as though I do not want to .. I am wondering if I can kill it [without hurting any thing else] or in some way.. thin it.. thanks

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    And welcome to our forum. You say you planted that clematis, but you don't mention where you bought it from? Didn't it have a label mentioning the well-known characteristics of clematis 'Bill MacKenzie' as found e.g. on the RHS site, viz.
    • Size Ultimate height 4–8 metres
    • Time to ultimate height 2–5 years
    • Ultimate spread 2.5–4 metres ?
    Don't worry, we all make mistakes... I'm sure someone will suggest ways of killing that beauty, although it's a pity.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    You can prune it back quite easily @LandyGirl - it's a Group 3 so you would do that around late winter/early spring  :)

Here's a link which will give you more details 
    https://www.clematisinternational.com/growing.html
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    Cut it down around February to about 4 - 6 inches. It flowers on new growth. You can keep it trimmed but it will flower less.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,028
    Agree a huge haircut is required  to maintain this beauty.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,263
    edited 25 January
    A good cut-back should slow it down.. Repeated often, would kill it.  Pulling rather than cutting would be better.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    You can't pull clematis, stems are tougher than they look. It's a Group 3 so needs cutting down every year, late winter, won't kill it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,263
    Wasn't the question about killing?  I meant a good heave, as much root as possible.  Maybe a good idea to wear protective gloves.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    It doesn't need killing.  It needs controlling and that will happen if the OP adopts the standard pruning regime for this kind of clematis, that is to say hard prune in late winter/early spring.

https://clematisontheweb.org/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=439 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,028
    I agree with @Obelixx Correct yearly pruning is the answer no need to kill it off.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    I agree too - it's no problem if the correct pruning is used. The natural habit of Clematis  is to scramble through other shrubs etc, especially the bigger, or more vigorous varieties, but it might be that you also need to have more supports for it, depending on where and how you're growing it @LandyGirl. Fence/wall/shed etc. That can help with directing it to a better area. 
    However, it's also possible to move it if the space isn't that suitable for it. What size is the space you have? 
    If you have a photo of the general area, that will also help  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....