Forum home Problem solving

De-humidifier positioning.

I've just started growing cactus indoors in an unheated room, so bought a de-humidifier to help dry the damp winter air.
My first thought was to place it next to the window where most plants are, then thought is that the best position, as it will draw all the damp air towards it?
Any thoughts?
Sunny Dundee

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,433
    I keep a lot of cacti on S facing window sills.  The windows are old single glazed sash types which , in this prolonged cold weather, are always covered in condensation. The windows have wooden louvred shutters which are closed overnight.  I've not noticed any problem with the cacti - I just don't water them whilst the temps are so low.
    Admittedly, I'm in the SW so usually a bit more temperate than Dundee but this winter has been the worst here temp wise since I came back to UK in 2012. Not much help with your actual query but hopefully someone will advise :)  
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 850
    I keep a lot of cacti on S facing window sills.  The windows are old single glazed sash types which , in this prolonged cold weather, are always covered in condensation. The windows have wooden louvred shutters which are closed overnight.  I've not noticed any problem with the cacti - I just don't water them whilst the temps are so low.
    Admittedly, I'm in the SW so usually a bit more temperate than Dundee but this winter has been the worst here temp wise since I came back to UK in 2012. Not much help with your actual query but hopefully someone will advise :)  
    That's actually good info, thanks. I have condensation on that window too, so good to know it hasn't caused you any problems.
    I have sown some seeds in another room using heat and light using 'the baggie' method.
    Sunny Dundee
    I'd just add @Balgay.Hill that the cacti I referred to are mature plants.  Seedlings need a bit more thought as you rightly say :)
    I'd just add @Balgay.Hill that the cacti I referred to are mature plants.  Seedlings need a bit more thought as you rightly say :)
    The seeds have just sprouted, and will stay in the bag under light and heat for three months. I've followed a method i found online.
    The de-humidifier is in a room with more mature plants.  :)
    Sunny Dundee
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,366
    edited 24 January
    Do cacti really need low humidity?  Dry at the roots, yes.  And only spasmodic watering.

The cold window is condensing water from the air and will be reducinng the humiidity.

It might be an idea to buy a humidity meter - they are very cheap - and check actual  RH readings.

Please report back.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,366
    PS.  The seedlings in the bag will need to have their own RH test.  Of course.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    The seeds have just sprouted, and will stay in the bag under light and heat for three months. I've followed a method i found online.
    Sounds good - just out of interest, what cacti seedlings are you doing ?
    Sounds good - just out of interest, what cacti seedlings are you doing ?
    They are Echinocereus pectinatus v rubispinus. I like the look of the spines on them.
    The de-humidifier hasn't made any difference last night, as the reading on the meter is actually higher than the previous night!  :)
    Sunny Dundee
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    edited 25 January
    If the temperature last night was a bit warmer than the temperature the previous night that will be the reason the humidity is higher.
    Warmer air will hold more moisture than cooler air.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    edited 25 January
    Pete.8 said:
    If the temperature last night was a bit warmer than the temperature the previous night that will be the reason the humidity is higher.
    Warmer air will hold more moisture than cooler air.
    I understand the mechanics of humidity, as i actually have a humidifier in another room for plants that like it warm and humid. It was less humid in the room with the humidifier, than the room with the de-humidifier due to the warmer air! :D

I expected more from the de-humidifier. Maybe it needs to run for a few days to take effect?
    Sunny Dundee