Forum home Plants

Another plant ID please!

sophie.hsophie.h Posts: 13
I think these may have been pansies? Is there any chance of them coming back to life, or am I better off pulling it all out and starting again? Note that there is also some kind of fungi growing in the pot!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Picture?
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,006
    Hello Sophie,  please can you try posting the photo again ? You may need to resize it slightly smaller.
  • sophie.hsophie.h Posts: 13
    Whoops, not sure what happened there! 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,690
    There's new growth showing, so they are alive! I've no idea how well they will flower but if you want to try, cut off all the old brown stems right down to the clump of new growth (and see if you can get the dandelion or whatever it is out). When the weather gets warmer you could try giving it a bit of feed but not while it's cold. Or separate out the individual plants and repot with some fresh compost.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,352
    edited 23 January
    They look like violas (very similar to pansies).  Best treated as an annual.  Therefore: bin. Don't waste your time; they are cheap, buy new ones/
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    Okay, thank you! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I do get rid of them, can I reuse the compost in the pot, or is it better to buy fresh?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,093
    If you're wanting to put in more new plants, it's better to use fresh, but you can also just take some out - a few inches - and top it up with fresh  :)
    The bit you remove can go on other beds/borders if you have them. 
    I'd give those another go as @JennyJ says though, if you don't need the pot for anything else. They don't always last a long time though. 

Oh - and not a stupid question at all   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Brill, thanks @Fairygirl! This forum is my new favourite place 😄
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,093
    edited 23 January
    It can be addictive @sophie.h  ;)
    Enjoy tootling around on it, and don't be scared to ask questions about anything. It's how we all learn, and this forum is an excellent source of info from all sorts of people and places  :)
    Should have said - take the dandelion out as mentioned, and that looks like that water retention stuff in the pot, so probably isn't a problem. At first I thought it was snail eggs, but I'm ruling that out unless you've had a family of about twenty of them laying eggs at the same time!
    They tend to be more opaque too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....