Forum home Plants

Island beds - pros and cons, your thoughts please!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,303
    There's two access points to the lawn, one from the patio and another on the back left coming up from the lower part of the garden which I use to carry my lawn mower up and other equipment.  This gives another irregular shape to the lawn.  I'm going to think about making the lawn rectangular once I've extended that bed on the right.  Good to have a project, watch this space!  Hope you had a good walk, thanks again.
    You might need to consider whether it's worth altering that little bit, rather than using the existing little space which is possibly more convenient for all sorts of things. Food for thought though  :)
    Walk was fine thanks - just a tad dampish. Give me back that lovely sharp frosty weather we had for a week  ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 1,973
    Your thoughts have also been very helpful @Dovefromabove, thank you for your artistic perspective!

Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,058
    Why delay the inevitable?  >:)

• zugeniezugenie Posts: 714
    punkdoc said:
    Has any one managed to get a dog to dig holes on command, in the correct place?
    Not on command but my dog only digs if I’m also digging, then he pitches in to help 😆
    I like that idea Loxley, thank you!  Just one consideration though, in the summer my south facing patio gets too hot to sit on, even with the overhead canopy. Most of the lawn remains in shade because of my neighbour's monster laurel hedge which creates a cool space for relaxing in.  I'm sure there'll be a further of widening of beds though until the inevitable!
    punkdoc said:
    Has any one managed to get a dog to dig holes on command, in the correct place?
    And then fetch your slippers and pipe @punkdoc after all that exertion!
    Just to be vaguely helpful to the actual thread 😆 I think widening the border on the right side is a great idea, will you keep the curve?
    Thank you @zugenie, I'm going to keep my options open - start straight and then stand back and consider a subtle or more obvious curve.  It's all about experimentation, as you know!
    @Plantminded that’s half the fun! The black fence looks really amazing in your garden!!
  • bédébédé Posts: 1,790
    edited 24 January
     I'm going to keep my options open -
     It's all about experimentation, as you know!
    Wellll ... Surely "planning" has a wee role to play.

Did I read somewhere that squaring off is somewhere in the plans dreams.  Keep turfs from bed increments to supply the grass needed for lawn changes.  Different seed or turf take years to integrate,
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."