Forum home Plants

Euphorbia wulfenii

ben6Wu2GcSKben6Wu2GcSK Gloucestershire Posts: 17
I’ve got this slightly abandoned/leggy wulfenii. Should I cut whole thing to ground level in early spring? Or leave to sort itself out?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,136
    I would ... you'd miss out on flowers this year, but it'd rejuvenate the plant.  
    Watch out for the sap ... wear gloves and don't get any in your eyes. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,294
    ... and don't get Euphorbia sap on your clothes.  It's a rubber latex and will not respond to washing, or dry-cleaning.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    Some of those stems on your plant do have emerging flowers - the stems curl downwards at the tip looking like the plant is getting ready to pounce!  You could leave a few of those for some interest this spring.  You'll also see some newly emerging shoots at the base of the plant, try to avoid cutting these when you remove the old woody stems from last year as these will grow and produce flowers next year.  These plants are tough and will respond well to any pruning you choose to do but always cut this variety's stems at the base.  
    Mine looks very much like yours at the moment @ben6Wu2GcSK , just a bit leafier - the heat and drought last year were the main cause of leaf drop.  In a month's time the acid green flowers will be well on their way.

• ben6Wu2GcSKben6Wu2GcSK Gloucestershire Posts: 17
    Plantminded Thanks! Yours looks bushier and healthier 😂 But I see what you mean about the curled tips. You’re right, mine does have those. Will give her a trim in March.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,022
    Also bear in mind that they don't last forever. You might consider replacing it with a seedling or young plant. There's bound to be a few dotted about your garden.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,959
    You can also take cuttings of Euphorbias, although it isn't the best time of year.  :)
    I'm just looking at your Phormium in that pic @Plantminded and wishing all of mine looked as healthy.  ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    I would replace it with another tbh (usually there's a seedling somewhere!) You could leave it until after flowering if you want to eke it out for one more season. Cutting the spent flowers to ground level will result in new shoots, but there's such a build-up of woody stems I think it's possibly time to let go.
    Yes, as @B3 and @Loxley say, it is short lived - I replace mine every three or four years once they run out of steam! If yours doesn't improve it may be time to replace. 

That Phormium's got some snow/frost scorched leaves @Fairygirl, clever camera work!!