Forum home Plants

Hawthorn - Crataegus 'Crimson Cloud' - size?

Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 299
Hi all, it's that time of year when I'm looking at new things for the garden, and having been thinking on and off about a hawthorn for a while, but never quite sure, I've seen a Crataegus 'Crimson Cloud' in the garden centre which (with a money off voucher) is particularly good value.

But, as normal, different sites mention it growing to different sizes. Several mention 5m tall, others mention 8m tall, and one or two mention 10m tall.

Does anyone grow this specific cultivar, and if so, what sort of height & spread can I reasonably expect? Also, is it shallow or deep rooted (or in between)?

Thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,181
    What can be confusing is that many sites give a projected height after a specific number of years, rather than a maximum size … eg this site says 5x 4m at 20 years 
    https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/crataegus-laevigata-crimson-cloud-tree-p246 

It’s not a cultivar I’ve grown myself but I have seen some similar ones grow to quite a size … however hawthorns do respond well to pruning so it would be possible to control it to some extent. 

I wouldn’t describe them as deep rooted when compared with something like an oak tree, but they do develop quite substantial roots as they mature. 

I’m not sure if that’s going to help with your decision.  How much space do you have available? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 299
    That does still help, thank you. I have the size for the height, but possibly not the spread, after having slept on it and real life has kicked in. Was just very tempted as a hawthorn has been on my wish list, because it ticks all the wildlife boxes that are the basis for most of my planting choices, and it was good value.

The spot I was thinking was in the border below - just to the left of the wonky green glass ornament thingy that needs fixing, where there has been a ceanothus and a huge clump of the bog standard crosomia. Both would be coming out - with regret on the part of the ceanothus as it is fairly old (planted long before we got here) but has succumbed to the frosts and most of it has died back. I've already got another one to be planted elsewhere though.

Behind the border is a small stream, then on the other side of that are the ash trees and brambles you can see. I appreciate that everything is quite hard to make out from the photos!!

I think I'm now thinking of a more upright variety - Crataegus monogyna 'Stricta', which might be more suitable.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    We have that cultivar @Anna33  The blossom is stunning and I highly recommend it.  We planted ours about 7-8 years ago.  It is about 3 metres tall, however we have been pruning it every year for the past few years.  It might have been closer to 4-5 metres otherwise.  It handles quite brutal pruning without any problems. I can't tell you about the root size, but we have it planted in a very narrow raised bed (about 1 metre wide). We planted a Walnut tree at about the same time, and it is now a monster. Nothing about the Crimson Cloud suggests it might turn into a huge tree.  Hope that helps.

This was taken about 6 years ago, but it's just to show you how narrow the planting bed is that we have it in. The lower branches have been removed now, to create a standard.

• Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 299
    @KeenOnGreen, now you've made me change my mind again!!   :lol:

Thank you - beautiful pics, and very useful to see where it's planted.