Forum home Problem solving

Relocating a well established yew bush

I have a 20 year old yew bush and would like to relocate to another part of the garden in spite of the fact that it is well established? Can this be done? Regards colin

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,482
    It might depend on how big the bush is but I'd certainly think twice about moving it.
  • It would be a massive job. You would need to lift the root ball which could be quite sizeable and it would take several years for the tree to re-establish itself. How you would be able to give it enough water to keep it going would be another huge job as well as how to stake it to keep it stable. Ropes and hawsers job.
    I do not think it is a brilliant idea but it is your decision ultimately.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,263
    edited 22 January
    How important is the spot to your new plans?  It might be worth the risk of a move.  If you have the time, do the job over, say, 2 years.  Starting by reducing the root ball with a ring of slits with a spade.  Water well before the final dig-up and keep it well watered for the next 2 years plus.

There is bound to be a U-tube or two.

It can be done, but with planning.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • Robert WestRobert West Posts: 172
    Yeah, as said above if it's got any chance of survival you'll need to dig a thin deep ring around it and then water copiously for maybe six months to a year to encourage the tree to put out new smaller roots from the thick ones you've chopped through. I'm no tree expert but I suspect the roots close to a tree that old are not the ones absorbing most it's water, they'll be too thick and old for that. Need to get it to make lots of new ones. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    This was covered by the Beechgrove team a few yrs ago-
    https://www.beechgrove.co.uk/module_uploads/2/Factsheet_2018_-_Prog_3_red.pdf

The above article shows how to prepare for moving in the Spring (page 7)
    If you search the Beechgrove FactSheet archive, they showed later in the year the moving process - but that was basically just dig a big hole and put the prepared shrub into it.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.