Forum home Fruit & veg

PSB wilted/dying due to the cold?

Hi everyone, another PSB question…all bar one of my PSB plants seem to have died back. I had a good half dozen which were thriving until the cold snap in December. Had a look this morning and it seems the cold has done it’s worst again. 
Anyone know if it could be anything else? I thought PSB was frost/cold resistant? 
This has never happened to me before in other cold winters.

many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,182
    What's PSB?  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,589
    @Fairygirl - from the OP's other posts I'm guessing purple sprouting broccoli.

Can't help with the original question - sorry.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,182
    Ah - thanks @Topbird :)
    Can't help either but maybe @Dovefromabove can - I think she grows it but I might be wrong. 
    Like many plants though - wet/freeze/thaw cycles are the most damaging of all. A bit of frost, when conditions are largely dry, does far less damage, so that might be a factor.
    If you have photos, that will also help @andy_doc_stuart :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,442
    There is a limit even for cold/frost hardy plants.  The UK has had much lower temps than normal over the last couple of months and a lot of rain too.
    Depends on your location and whether you were able to offer them some protection during the worst of the weather.
    It's not been a brilliant year for some winter veg outside -IME anyway.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,578
    All of mine died at -10 they turned to mush all the way down the stems there wasn't any wind or thawing over that time, from previous tries here I would say that at -5 you get 60% survival and colder than that they all start to die.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    When we had an allotment we had one really bad winter when everyone’s PSB seemed to have died. All the allotment holders pulled theirs up … all except me … I had a small baby and didn’t have time to spend doing stuff on the allotment in the winter … so I left it … I won first prize with my PSB in the village Hort Soc spring show … mine had recovered and no one else had any. 
    Don’t give up yet … it might take a while to recover but you may well be picking it in April 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fairygirl said:
    Ah - thanks @Topbird :)
    Can't help either but maybe @Dovefromabove can - I think she grows it but I might be wrong. 
    Like many plants though - wet/freeze/thaw cycles are the most damaging of all. A bit of frost, when conditions are largely dry, does far less damage, so that might be a factor.
    If you have photos, that will also help @andy_doc_stuart :)
    Sorry, yes purple sprouting broccoli.
    will get a photo and upload 
    thanks!
  • Hi again everyone, taken a bit to get a photo, but here they are. One of the purple sprouting broccoli is still ok. But the rest have either died completely or been stunted. The very cold spell we had 2 years ago didn’t affect my plants at all, but this year this has happened. Thanks all for any ideas…