Forum home Plants

Bringing on Alliums from Seed

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,466
I sowed a seed head from Allium obliquum just before winter and was just wondering how to bring them on.  They are in a shallow seed tray, and have been inside in an unheated room for the past 6 weeks or so as once they germinated outside, I then didn't want to subject them to the snow/freeze in case they rotted. 

Does anyone have any advice as to when to transplant them into pots please?  I expect they will lose the 'foliage' at some point but am not sure if the tray would be sufficient for next years growing.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,994
    Would have been better to have sown them in a deep tray, but still. Try to keep  them in where they are now for as long as possible. The seedlings only grow one root begin with and if it is damaged it dies and the plant has to grow a new one from the basal plate. Unlike a lot of plants they do not develop multi-branched roots.
    Feed with weak liquid feed until they do begin to die down. Then repot when they are dormant.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    i agree with @Palustris except i rarely feed anything. If you're very careful you might be able to move the whole lot into something deeper
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,466
    Thank you for your comments, yes in hindsight I should have put them in a pot knowing it would be a long project.

I will do as suggested and when dormant see if I can move in chunks to deeper pots hopefully without disturbing them too much.